what machines are designed to work in resonance?

While resonance is generally avoided in machinery, some devices take
advantage of resonance. Most obvious examples are musical instruments, soil
compactors, pneumatic hammers...
What else? What other machinery is designed around the principle of
resonance and is designed to work in resonance?
Would you know of any devices working in higher modes?
thanks
Paul
Reply to
Paul
Dear Paul:
Ozone generators are operated at frequencies that maximize output based on the "air" gap.
Harmonic dampeners are operated above their characterisitc frequency, but not necessarily at resonance points.
David A. Smith
Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)
Doesn't a laser use resonance, of a sort, to get all those photons lined up and marching in single-phase lock-step?
KG
Paul wrote:
Reply to
Kirk Gordon
Vibrating bowls are used to sort small parts, tuned to 50 Hz they are driven by mains powered magnets.
Sives are shaken by vibrators.
schutes sometimes have vibrators attached to keep products that tend to clump up or jam flowing.
Clocks !
-- Jonathan
Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.
To reply remove AT
Reply to
Jonathan Barnes
Are birds flapping their wings with resonant frequency?
It would appear that the easiest way to move wings would be to do this in resonance when inertial stiffness cancels out with elastic stiffness...
Paul
Reply to
Paul
Mechanical, tuning fork and quartz clocks and watches. Radios of all kinds. tuning fork gyros Baby bouncing seats.....
Brian W
Reply to
Brian Whatcott
"Juan Vazquez" wrote in news:c98ble$fna$1 @newsreader.mailgate.org:
instruments,
Ultrasound, Ultrasonic cleaners, etc
Reply to
Anthony
Densitometers and Coriolis flow meters drive a system at its natural frequency (using the tube etc as the frequency determining element in an oscillator).
Mass determinations in weightless conditions use the resonant frequency of mass and spring.
Bruce
Paul wrote:
Reply to
Bruce Durdle
Vibrating conveyors and vibrating screens are often used to convey powders and granular materials, even up hill. They typically use a motor with out-of-balance weights (masses) at each end of the motor shaft to excite the device at its natural frequency - which, ideally, should be close to an harmonic of the motor speed.
Reply to
Rusty
Some micromachined inertia sensors measure the change in frequency when subject to acceleration or rotation (angular acceleration). Sensonor of Norway made a accelerometer utilizing the 9'th eigenfrequency. Christopher
Reply to
Christopher Grinde
The original Stewart Warner balance machines spun a part thru its mounted resonance probably to get a big output signal and more "sensitivity." Not too tough to detect 0.0002 inch ecentricity.
When my daughters were smaller I endeavored to time my pushes to coincide with the resonant frequecy of them, while sitting on their swings.
I think those fat loud mufflers kids put on their Honda Civics must have some resonant frequency excitation goin' on.
OH, and the "thump" so popular with young folks' stereos seem to only play one note real well, so I'm guessing the sub aims for typical body panel resonance. Or maybe the poor car effectively provides the passive filtering ensuring that frequency's just what innocent civilians are going to hear.
Reply to
djtcz

Site Timeline