wind turbine's pitch control

hi,friends,i m sam & i m working on the project of pitch control mechanism of wind turbines, i want help in this project regarding to mechanism.

Reply to
littlex591

Variable pitch props have been in use for about eighty years. So it looks like your homework could benefit from some study of the existing designs.

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

So how would you go about this (using v-p props)? Would you go the simple route and use a centrifugal regulator (isn't this called a Watt's regulator or something - the deal with the balls on arms that are slung out by the force of spinning)? Or would you go with a more sophisticated electronic method where you measure the wind speed indirectly then use PID control and a servo to control the pitch of the props? Each has its advantage and disadvantage. The mechanical method is more simple and probably probably robust, but may be less effecient. Electrinic control obviously takes a lot more engineering, but might be able to squeeze every last erg out of the wind's force.

Reply to
'lektric dan

Use mechanical for gross adjustment, and less complex electrical for fine adjustment. Sort of like power steering...

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

The current trend is all but overwhelming. Replace mechanical control with electronic sensing and computed responses. Mechanical stuff is hard-programmed, and it wears out. Programmed response is amenable to development with time. Shutdown on high vibration? No problem. Trim pitch to maximize power? No problem. Scheduled feather and brake shutdown sequences. No problem. (All the same, I am prejudiced towards hydraulic actuation rather than direct control by electric motors - call me old-fashioned)

Brian W

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

On Oct 5, 11:46=A0am, Brian Whatcott wrote: (big snippage)

Well, how about fluidic-based controls? There are equivalents to both analog and digital circuits. Another way might be something like an automotive automatic transmission. Not really a fluidic control, but definitely hydraulic!

Reply to
'lektric dan

hi,I am bobo and I am disigning a electrical pitch system. I have some difficulties in this work. e.g a: incharge the battery,it is hard to find an charge for battery unit (DC400V),and the charge should small and durable. b: main power and backup power swith. maybe can use a relay to monitor the main power,but anywhere some more easy way? c: definition the blade limit switch . if you have experience in these,please help me. thanks c:

Reply to
BohemianBoBo

I work for a company that makes the load measurement system for real- time pitch control, if you're interested.

Reply to
fiberman103