Wind Gauge

There have been many times I've wished I could know what the exact wind speed was at a launch but just had to guess. At the last SEARS launch Jack Kale had a pocket wind gauge that was really cool. It gives wind speed, average speed and maximum gusts as well as temp & wind chill, all with a quartz display.

Last Friday morning I ordered one from the website of Outdoor Sports at the link below. I got it today! If you ever wanted an inexpensive way to know the wind speed on the spot, this is it.

Randy

Reply to
<randyolb

Don't know where they get that absurd list price, but about $100 is a typical price for a Kestrel wind meter. IntoTheWind.com has them and/or similar stuff.

Bob Kaplow

Looks like you can BIN it on eBay for $86, free shipping:

Reply to
bit eimer

Looks nice, but they've also got some other models available the do altitude as well (for determining initial elevation), and their price seems a bit high after a quick google search.

David Erbas-White

snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

Reply to
David Erbas-White

I picked up a cheap solid-state wind gauge from RadioShack a couple years ago for about $19. Pretty nifty, although it won't measure anything under 5mph. But any wind that slow isn't going to be an issue for my rockets anyway.

raydunakin

$105 inexspensive? at that price I could buy a fleet of estes rockets, cases of A-C engines, or tons of balsa.

$3.75

Reply to
tater schuld

That's certainly true. I guess it's a relative term. Probably should have said, "good price." I spend more than that eating out on Friday nights.

Randy

Reply to
<randyolb

Do you have a link for an inexpensive ground based "weather station"?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Save your money. This thing is pretty useless for rocketeers. A Kestrel or similar meter is a great addition to a clubs range equipment. Short of that, you're better off calling the FAA or learning the Beaufort scale.

Bob Kaplow

My thoughts and purpose exactly.

Randy

Reply to
<randyolb

If you are interested in a pole mount that has some nice features consider the device at

There is a review of it (by yours truly) on EMRR. In particular I am pointing at their Vortex line. There are other pricey options too but nothing I imagine the average guy would want.

Reply to
Al Gloer