Wind Gauge

There have been many times I've wished I could know what the exact wind speed was at a launch but just had to guess. At the last SEARS launch Jack
Kale had a pocket wind gauge that was really cool. It gives wind speed, average speed and maximum gusts as well as temp & wind chill, all with a quartz display.
Last Friday morning I ordered one from the website of Outdoor Sports at the link below. I got it today! If you ever wanted an inexpensive way to know the wind speed on the spot, this is it.
http://www.outdoorsportz.com/OGWIOOOO1006.html
Randy

Don't know where they get that absurd list price, but about $100 is a typical price for a Kestrel wind meter. IntoTheWind.com has them and/or similar stuff.
I support drug testing. I believe every public official should be given a shot of sodium pentathol and ask "Which laws have you broken this week?".
Looks like you can BIN it on eBay for $86, free shipping:
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&itemE36019437&category &440&sspagename=WDVW>
--
...The Bit Eimer NAR 84054 L1
"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

I picked up a cheap solid-state wind gauge from RadioShack a couple years ago for about $19. Pretty nifty, although it won't measure anything under 5mph. But any wind that slow isn't going to be an issue for my rockets anyway.

the
$105 inexspensive? at that price I could buy a fleet of estes rockets, cases of A-C engines, or tons of balsa.
http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms 03
$3.75
--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)

cases
That's certainly true. I guess it's a relative term. Probably should have said, "good price." I spend more than that eating out on Friday nights.
Randy

Do you have a link for an inexpensive ground based "weather station"?

Save your money. This thing is pretty useless for rocketeers. A Kestrel or similar meter is a great addition to a clubs range equipment. Short of that, you're better off calling the FAA or learning the Beaufort scale.
"For as adamant as my country has been about civil liberties during peacetime, it has a long history ... of failing to preserve civil liberties when it perceived its national security threatened." -- former Supreme Court Justice William Brennan

My thoughts and purpose exactly.
Randy
If you are interested in a pole mount that has some nice features consider the device at
WWW.inspeed.com.
There is a review of it (by yours truly) on EMRR. In particular I am pointing at their Vortex line. There are other pricey options too but nothing I imagine the average guy would want.