An era has passed...

I just finished reading some old posts on this newsgroup. All I did was go to Outlook Express' View, click the first thing on the list, then clicked on Show All. There were some old posts there that were really interesting.

It was nice to read posts that were not written with a commercial R/C forum's rules in mind. We could use profanity. We could ball someone out. Insults flew by without restraint. It was freedom of speech at its best. I sincerely miss rec.models.rc.air. How did we arrive at this point? This is America. The .and of the free. The home of the knave - er -brave. How did we let those bastards do this to us?

America is evaporating away before our very eyes.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

And you think this is down to diminished newsgroup chatter? Come on, Ed. You can do better than that.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

No it isn't. This is Usenet.

Always a myth..

You sold your birthright for a mess of pottage. Or McDonalds and beer, whichever ;-)

Western civilization is evaporating before our eyes, because it became a myth based on a false premise.

*I* hold it as a self evident truth that all men are *not* born equal.

Its been very convenient to manipulate the democratic process by and appeal to the naive, the faithful and the stupid, to decry intelligence,education, and the rational thought that allowed Western civilisation to develop, and concentrate in selling snake oil to the great unwashed.

Conditions are now perfect for totalitarian style governments to take over completely.

Welcome to the new Dark Ages.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote

***Come on now, speak English. WTF is pottage?
***And I agree with your change from America to western civlization. Pardon my Amerocentrism, please.
***Come on, TNB. We all know that to be true, but saying that it is true stifles those that are prone to rioting and removing heads. And no, I'm not basing this on race or a particular religion. There are those with more intellect than others. At least that is how I envision the divide. But it doesn't bode well for an intellectual minority (regardless of racial composition) to prod the sleeping masses with whatever and then expect them not to retaliate.
***As far as I can tell from my view of human history, totalitarianism is the norm, not the exception. I'm not saying that I prefer it. But, when one wants to get something socially gigantic accomplished in a reasonable amount of time, nothing beats having a single source of authority. But only if that authority is competent. Unfortunately, that tends not to be the case.
***No argument from me.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Of course not, Ray. It is merely another symptom.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Dole Office Clerk: Occupation?

Comicus: Stand-up philosopher.

Dole Office Clerk: What?

Comicus: Stand-up philosopher. I coalesce the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension.

Dole Office Clerk: Oh, a *bullshit* artist!

Reply to
Bob Cowell

I see the rot has gone so far you cant tell BS from original thought and comment. Bow Cowell: You ARE the problem and I claim my $5!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I miss the old newsgroup. there were 250 messages or more per day there were good informative posts, there was always the inevitable infighting, there were enough messages that you could just skip the BS (and the BS artists)

even the trolls were more interesting than the current crop.

Remember Earl DeBoyg ??

used to get things stirred up REAL GOOD about this time of the year.

Of course, that was back in the days before many of the posters ran off a-whoring after the online forums,

back in the days when most of the posters could spell 3 letter words correctly,

And back before some self-proclaimed "expert" who knew everything about everything insisted on replying to EVERY post.

I only come by once in a while to look at the dozen or so posts which took 2 weeks to accumulate.

YMMV

Reply to
Bob Cowell

-----------

So...., which online forum are you whoring on?

I'm on RCU, RC GROUPS and RC Hangout.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I'm afraid this is just the beginning, Ed.

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
Robert Scott

What he said...at least you don't have Hangar rash induced depression.

-- Keith

Reply to
Schiffner

"Schiffner" wrote

Not to mention the wind I have now...moved to Montana, Cut Bank that is movie stars and cowboy bars.

*************************** Get yerself a Lazy Bee. They handle the wind like nobody's business! Hovering is especially fun, I think.
Reply to
Morgans

Jim, by hovering do you mean a high AOA into the wing and the plane stays in place or flies backwards or do you mean a grossly over powered Lazy Bee with barn door ailerons in a Vert. 3D type hover? When I was learning to fly I assumed that you didn't fly on windy days but the instructor(Pete) said "oh yeah". Later when the wind got up even more he took the trainer over and showed me how to fly backwards. I now do not fear the wind, maybe even when I should. :) mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

our wind seems almost binary. It is either blowing LESS than

10mph OR it's over 20mph and gust to iirc for '08 the best our airport recorded was a 80mph gust. But I could be wrong, I do know that I'm not skeered of roofing my house in 20-30mph wind. Anything over 30 and you can forget it the gusts are an easy 40mph.

currently at 0911 temp is 39.9F wind is W15 wind chill is 32F humidity is 54% dew point is 25F low was 31F gust was W32

This is a pretty mild for us. Last two years I've had winds hard enough to take out 30 to 40 sections on our wooden fence. I hate putting up fence in high winds...it makes keeping the fence post AND pouring the 60# of concrete difficult. ;^)

-- Keith

Reply to
Schiffner

"MJKolodziej" wrote

I mean flying level at 20 mph air speed, when the wind is blowing 22 mph. The result is flying backwards at 2 mph.

I have hovered a Bee in a torque roll, though. It had an almost new OS FP.15 on it.

That same engine is now about worn out. Hard to believe how long ago that was.

Reply to
Morgans

--------------

I used to perform figure eight maneuvers overhead with the nose pointed in the same direction all of the time using my wife's Falcon 56 with Fox .25 and a World Engines Blue Max radio operating REM. That was loads of fun.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

none of the above, and no others either. I have neither the time nor the resources to spend on the online forums.

I'm still juggling a full-time job, and all the aggravation that goes along with it. I do NOT have a high speed internet connection, and I still need my beauty sleep (witnesses available to corroborate this statement)

Reply to
Bob Cowell

----------

I know what you mean. Hang in there. Retirement is coming - one way or another. Don't ask.

I'll bet you I beat you on the Fuglyometer scale.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

well, what did you expect? it's more like the bubble is bursting. under the current conditions, the american ability to generate bullshit can no longer keep up with the civilized world's ability to debunk it. as a consequence of that, the steady stream of foreign intelligence and education that used to flow into america is now diminishing rapidly, and even reversing in some areas at times. the immediate result is that the average iq of the nation, which used to be determined by the real imported talent, is now dominated by the local "brainpower" and by the hordes of foreign barely literate idiots still believing that streets of san-francisco are paved with gold. needless to say, this paints an extremely depressing picture, to put it politely. usenet is just one victim of that process. it really comes as no surprise, that the average iq of the american population has dropped below the level needed to access usenet.

Reply to
kb

that's strange you should mention those specific two. while all turbojet work in the world was heavily based on the preliminary development done by germans, further american developments was borrowing heavily from both germans and russians. hard to say from which they borrowed more. the radar development, on the other hand, was rather "omnidirectional" at first (no pun intended), but what it became now is again borrowed from russians. the interesting fact is that while the american turbojet engines today are notably better that russian ones (at least in the civilian applications), the radar technology still lags behind russian one by at least a decade. i don't know what is the reason of that strange disparity.

Reply to
kb