Texas poised to double wind energy output

Texas poised to double wind energy output

by ANGELA KOCHERGA / KVUE News kvue.com

Posted on February 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM Updated Friday, Feb 15 at 10:41 PM

PECOS COUNTY -- Wind storms in West Texas sent tumbleweed speeding down the street. But it's the steady gusts that blow through Pecos County daily that are powering the future.

"We were approached and I was open to change and interested," said rancher Bill Fort.

Fort is among the Texans leasing some of their land to wind farm companies. His family has been ranching in this region since the

1880s.

"When our ancestors came out here they put up windmills using gin poles and horse teams. And wind was all they had to pump water. I thought it was kind of logical really," he said.

Giant wind turbines now dot the horizon in a region known for oil and gas. In Pecos County alone, there are six massive wind farms. The wind industry set a record last year with a capacity of more than 60,000 megawatts of power. Texas is by far the top producer.

The big challenge: getting all the wind energy produced out here in far West Texas to the big cities that need the power. So the state is laying thousands of miles of transmission lines to get the job done.

Construction is supposed to be completed by the end of the year.

It can't happen soon enough for Doug May. May's the economic development director for Pecos County.

The $6.8 billion the state is spending on new transmission lines will double the capacity to deliver wind power to Texas cities.

"Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio, all the other metropolitan areas," May said.

That growth also allows rural towns in West Texas to escape the boom and bust cycle of oil and gas. Wind farms have their own struggle. They need support from Congress to renew tax credits and that support, even in Texas, can blow with the wind.

"I'll tell you what if we can help you understand it ya'll come out here to west Texas and will give you a tour and we'll show you what we're doing," Fort said.

While many in Pecos County stake their futures on wind energy, some are looking ahead to another resource that's plentiful in West Texas.

"As that technology gets better, I think we'll see a big mix of solar and wind," May said.

Texas, an oil and gas state, is also transforming itself into a renewable energy powerhouse.

Reply to
Desertphile

Finally, something good from out of a red state !!

(We can finally be proud of Texas when that day comes)

Reply to
Transition Zone

Note how many denialists think this great news is a bad thing.

Everyone living now will be dead before Texas becomes a valued member of the union.

Reply to
Desertphile

Least..nearly all Leftwingers will be dead.

Shrug

  1. Lie
Gunner

I fear that lefwingers are very much like cockroaches Easy to kill individually. But difficult to exterminate. And remember that since they operate in a (intelectual) vacuum, they will be quite able to survive for extended periods in space without life support.

Reply to
SaPeIsMa

Ooooh!! Very well said! Space Vermin!!

  1. Lie
Gunner

Some of them seem to have survived decades in the vacuum of Washington.

Reply to
SaPeIsMa

Damned shame we cant find something equivalent to Kyrptonite (but for brainless slugs) that we can simply wear on our persons and as we pass through a crowd..the space vermin simply falls over and dies, leaving the normal people alive and well and out of danger.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Let the Record show that Gunner on or about Tue, 19 Feb 2013 16:37:09 -0800 did write, type or otherwise cause to appear in talk.politics.guns the following:

Wayne Newton music?

It worked in "Mars Attacks!"

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that "Michael A. Terrell" on or about Tue, 19 Feb 2013 22:31:58

-0500 did write, type or otherwise cause to appear in talk.politics.guns the following:

"Marching Morons" - they can be the first to get a spot in the new colonies on Venus.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich