farington uni

hey guys check this out, while surfing the net, i came across this website www.faringtonuniversity.org . this 'university' claims itself to be a
'university' and propose to give out bachelor/master/doctorate degrees ......... without any exams test or having to study !
i think it's crap.. what do u think?
-- Hasta Luego
Irshaad (Faster than Bruce Lee)
remove the X to reply snipped-for-privacy@softhome.net

I'll have mine with a side of Summa Cum Laude for a mere $49 extra: http://www.faringtonuniversity.org/fees.htm
would you like fries with that?
You need their PhD to graduate to the fries counter.
The definition of a university is an institution that hands out degrees in its own name (as opposed to a college which doesnt)
What is harder to find is a university that 1) is accredited 2) hands out degrees without study or exam.
Brian
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:09:33 +0400, "Irshaad"

don't think you're correct...
there are lots of stand-alone small colleges that award (undergraduate) degrees. The distinction between a university and a college has to do with the existence of a graduate school...

Common usage, however, doesn't conform to this definition. Dartmouth College has a graduate program or two. I hear they're pretty decent, too.
Rob Campbell
Seriously, though, getting an advanced degree is an admirable thing and we should encourage it. I know from experience that it's easy to get discouraged just by the length of time required, especially when you're working full time. You may think, "Why didn't I do this when I was 26? I'm 33 years and 24 weeks old. If I start now, I won't have my degree until I'm 33 years and 25 weeks old." DON'T GIVE IN TO THAT KIND OF THINKING! Otherwise, you'll be kicking yourself when your 33 years and 26 weeks old and realize you could have had it by then.
Persevere.
Rob Campbell
Such innocent amusement - so unmalicious
Brian W
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:28:26 GMT, "Rob Campbell"

here's an interesting concept for you all to consider. Have you ever heard of self education. I have been studying religious theory and application along with social counselor focusing on drug and alcohol rehabilitation for almost 20 years on my own because I cant afford to attend a college or university. I also study medicine and law. However because I do not have a piece of paper stating that I have studied these fields I am not able to put my education to any use other then the casual conversation. If you had actually read any of the website you will notice that there is an exam to a certain degree. It is an interview process. It is not uncommon for an individual to CHALLENGE any course or degree program in any college or university throughout the US. As a matter of fact it is a very common practice that dates back to when I actually did attend college. I do agree that an individual needs to demonstrate the working knowledge of a particular field of study before any type of documentation can be awarded. However I disagree that one needs to attend a lengthy scholastic term in order to obtain such documentation.

put
And when it comes to operating on someone, that's a good thing.

an
As a matter of fact, I've read the entire web site for its entertainment value. Apparently, you have not, else you would have read this on their order form page:
"I understand that Farington University is an on-line life experience institution that awards documents based on information submitted by student and there are no tests and coursework necessary for successful enrollment and completion of any program."
Rob Campbell

Where the school motto is:
" :: No Books!
:: No Courses!