Magnesium AZ31B

Hello, our shop is looking to make some parts on the mill using Magnesium AZ31B. We were wondering if there is a hazard in machining this steel and
how easy is it to machine? Does it react with the dust as titanium in catching on fire?
Thanks in advance!
CDC wrote:

It's not a steel.

Easy.
Easily.
Michael Dahms

Eh, yes. AZ31B is a Magnesium alloy not a steel. Magnesium parts are very easy to machine, but can ignite. If you take care and don't try to cut too fast this shouldn't be an issue, though I reccommend that you have a Mg-fire extinguisher around cause if it goes off they can be hard to put out. Make sure that you clean all the swarf off afterwards and dispose of it as a hazardous material.
Cheers
Sleepy

Magnesium
and
very
too
Mg-fire
Make
Ps, I'd reccomend cutting them dry without cooling fluid since it tends to spark in water.