Magnesium AZ31B

Hello, our shop is looking to make some parts on the mill using Magnesium
AZ31B. We were wondering if there is a hazard in machining this steel and
how easy is it to machine? Does it react with the dust as titanium in
catching on fire?
Thanks in advance!
Reply to
CDC
Eh, yes. AZ31B is a Magnesium alloy not a steel. Magnesium parts are very easy to machine, but can ignite. If you take care and don't try to cut too fast this shouldn't be an issue, though I reccommend that you have a Mg-fire extinguisher around cause if it goes off they can be hard to put out. Make sure that you clean all the swarf off afterwards and dispose of it as a hazardous material.
Cheers
Sleepy
Reply to
Sleepy