Magnesium AZ31B

Hello, our shop is looking to make some parts on the mill using Magnesium AZ31B. We were wondering if there is a hazard in machining this steel and how easy is it to machine? Does it react with the dust as titanium in catching on fire?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
CDC

It's not a steel.

Easy.

Easily.

Michael Dahms

Reply to
Michael Dahms

Eh, yes. AZ31B is a Magnesium alloy not a steel. Magnesium parts are very easy to machine, but can ignite. If you take care and don't try to cut too fast this shouldn't be an issue, though I reccommend that you have a Mg-fire extinguisher around cause if it goes off they can be hard to put out. Make sure that you clean all the swarf off afterwards and dispose of it as a hazardous material.

Cheers

Sleepy

Reply to
Sleepy

Ps, I'd reccomend cutting them dry without cooling fluid since it tends to spark in water.

Reply to
Sleepy