metal nomination

I wonder i anyone can help me, or direct me to somewhere I can find information.
I recently saw the specification '7075-T6 Aluminium' used in another
newgroup messsage.
How are metals specified in this way and do the steels take a similar coding?
Willliam
Billy H wrote:

This is an aluminum association standard.
Michael Dahms
Look for many metal specification sources here:
http://metals.about.com/od/specification1 /