Stellite 6 HVOF vs Welded

Hello All,
Does anyone have specific information or a link to testing that has been done in comparing the wear characteristics of HVOF and welded
Stellite 6 coatings/hardfacings on stainless or high strength alloys? I am curious to know whether the typically lower hardness of the welded Stellite 6 (versus HVOF applied) will relate to less wear or abrasion resistance.
I have been told that higher hardness does not always relate to better wear resistance for Stellite 6, but have been unable to find any concrete information to substantiate this.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, JB