COF / slip problems

Greetings!

I have been tracking material throughout our plant (we are a films producer for the food industry) and I have noticed certain disturbing characteristics. At extrusion our films have good slip characteristics (allowing for appropriate bloom time)(we are currently using euricimide type slip) but sometimes after lamination our coefficient of friction (COF) dramatically increases. We use solvent based and solventless based laminators. All laminator operators complain of some build up of a film of "eraser like bits" (best way I can describe it) on their nip rolls. I have used a DSC to sample the material, which comes back as partially erucimide (slip) but mostly contains just the sealant material (generally LDPE or LLDPE). This build-up appears to be worst on a Faustel solvent based laminator, but this may be due to it is the hardest to clean. (Has anyone studied different nip roll materials or hardness for this effect?) This only appears to happen on some materials and not all the time. It does not always coincide with hotter/high humidity days.

After lamination, most of these rolls are sent to a hot room for curing. Whether there was a noticeable difference of COF at lamination or not, the final product after curing can have different/higher COFs than at extrusion/lamination. For example some rolls will be very slippery in the middle of the roll and tacky at the edges and vice versa. (This would appear to be tension related, as at extrusion the films have consistentcof across the web, any ideas here?)

I will be looking at possibly running some trials with non-migratory slips to see if this helps however they are not as effective as slip agents.

I am looking for any information if anyone has run into these problems themselves. Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply to
Drago

What Did you expect? It seems that you have a Problem with the surface and you tested the bulk...

Try a IR spectorscopy in a reflection mode or perhaps you will see a different in a TGA I assume...

But all sounds like you have a dispergation problem with your raw material...

Do you use some Masterbatches with your agents (sorry I d not work with extrusion)

then make following test: take a sample of the mixed raw material for example in a pan and give some vibrations on it... perhaps you have a problem with dismixing by vibration and such effects may depend an the amount of material you use at the moment, they could appear and disappear like you discribed it...

this sounds like a migration problem of your addtives... this could happen if you useses external agents... surch for additives which are bonded in the Matrix (fillers?)

Sometimes I have similar problems with some materials... but we are lucky and disgn our own polymers, so we can easyly modify them: One of our suppliers wanted to sell me an ABS/Talkum masterbatch for problems with slip.. it worked, the ABS and the Talkum made other Problems with our final products...

but this Masterbatch was originaly designed fpr PE...

Michael I am not a bug I am a undocumented feature

Reply to
Michael Erwerle