049 test stand dont's

Got a Cox reed valve 049 engine going today, with a Davis head.

For a motor stand I'm using a Tatone stand with a piece of 1/8" angle iron on which the engine is bolted.

Don't do this, unless you want some practical education in resonances. At the 'bad frequency' (which was just a bit lower than what the engine really wanted to do) I could see the cylinder moving through a 1/4" long arc.

Very disconcerting.

But I could damp it out by hanging on to the engine, so I verified that it runs (and smells) normally for a little Diesel conversion, and I have the compression and mixture at a good setting to go on a plane.

Tomorrow I go flying.

Sometime soon I go get some nice thick T-bar and make a new test stand adapter for 049s!

Reply to
Tim Wescott

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 20:00:23 -0700, Tim Wescott wrote in :

Gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

Sounds like the conversion worked and you and the engine survived the test run. All's well that ends well!

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Cool! How did you start it? Power or fingers? Fuel tank attached or apart?

mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

"Tim Wescott" wrote

Another thing you can do, until the engine sizes get really big (big enough to move a concrete block ) is to mount the stand to a piece of 2 X 8 (either using the steel between the engine mount and the wood, or not) and mount the whole thing on a 8 X 8 X 16" concrete block.

The block adds enough mass to purty much guarantee that the resonance will be too low to matter, and the wood helps even more to dampen out any small, fast vibrations.

That, plus you don't need to do anything except set your block out in the yard, and crank up the engine.

Like I said, until you go with a really big gasser, it ain't goin' nowhere!

Reply to
Morgans

I'm pretty sure this resonance was the angle iron flexing in the stand, which wouldn't change much if it were on a concrete block.

I'll know more after I get the 'right' adapter built.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

"Tim Wescott" wrote

Is the stand made of the said angle iron, or is the mount mounted to the angle iron?

I pictured the angle iron mounted in direct contact to the wood, for its whole length, and on both legs, just to give the mount some real firm footing to mount onto. Perhaps even some construction adhesive along with some screws, making the angle have direct contact in it's entirety.

Reply to
Morgans

I remember as a kid, connecting a 049 with a three blade prop to a contraption made mostly of wood bits and some tonka truck wheels. The engine wasn't secured very well and pulled out the attaching screws and fell off, bounced up when the prop hit the concrete and with that integral fuel tank, kept running. I caught it bare handed after the first bounce.

I don't recommend that. Right up their with grabbing a falling soldering iron. ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

About to run my Surestart engine tomorrow.

I'm using a lump of pine that was being used to make engine mounts for a Gremlin.

Probably not good for the mount or the engine but it would take some experimentation to prove it.

Mines just a new old stock 049, my very first 049.

Same here but not with this engine. My trainer is getting some hasty repairs to make it look airworthy....people want to ban it but it is simply unbreakable.

Reply to
The Raven

made mostly

and pulled

concrete and with

first bounce.

I've had that happen as well but didn't bother to catch it, I just let it run bouncing its way down the porch until the fuel ran out. Luckily it was moving away from me.

Reply to
David Billington

I made a test stand to run in my OS Surpass .71 and .91 4 strokes. A

2' high wooden step ladder and some custom milled adjustable eng>Got a Cox reed valve 049 engine going today, with a Davis head.

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

The Tatone test stand is for 'conventional' engines with mounting ears on the side of the crank case. I have the 049 engine bolted to a piece of angle iron, and the angle iron is in the Tatone mount, clamped in place of the conventional engine mounting ears.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

"Tim Wescott" wrote

Ahhh, I see.

Yep. Fatter steel is needed!

Reply to
Morgans

made mostly

and pulled

concrete and with

first bounce.

Or putting your foot under a starter that rolled off the bench...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Unluckily, it was moving towards me....

Reply to
Wes

Anyone need one..Ive got what appears to be a new in box 12vt model engine starter.

Gunner, with a half completed glider hanging in the reloading shop....sigh

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

What kind of half-completed glider do you have, Gunner? My half-completed glider is a "Spirit", and I think that's what I'm waiting for to move me to complete it. :-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

fiberglass fusalage, plywood covered foam wings, with about a 72" wingspan. A good friend gave it to me, as Ive always liked gliders, and he was an engine guy. I bought all the servos, a controller (have to go check what kind...futaba pwm rings a bell...and we started building two planes. The idea was the bird he was building was going to be the tow plane for launching my glider. I even designed a release mechanism...5 channel radio irrc

Then he grabbed his chest and dropped dead.

I kinda lost interest at that point..and its been hanging up there, with the wings not yet covered for about 10 yrs now.

I live in the rolling foothills , with great thermals and good slopes, and many model airplane events are held here, or used to be..the free flights being one. Its about 105F on average here in the summer, and wth the wide open spaces, and great thermals..its a natural for gliders.

someday ill get around to finishing it. Id like to. But..Ive got two motorcycles Ive not ridden for at least 8 yrs, and a 22' sailboat thats not been in the water for at least that long and the Hobi

16..even longer.....working away from home for weeks at a time...when i get home...too much to do, not enough free time.

Gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"              mariposa rand mair theal

Reply to
Gunner Asch

"Jim Chandler" wrote

I can't believe nobody has mentioned why doing ballet (or ice skaters) "turn and stop" head movements would be a VERY bad idea.

I would think keeping your eyes focused on your plane _all_ the way around the circle would be a very GOOD idea!

Unless, of course, you LIKE repairing crashed airplanes!

Reply to
Morgans

You sound like me with all the projects, and I don't even work away from home. Good luck with it. I can imagine that your friend dropping dead would sort of take away from the enthusiasm. If you ever get to working on it again, just think of it as a memorial to him.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

One of the quickest ways to nail down control line aerobatics is to use a two line kite. The local grocery store even has a nylon kite with fiberglas rods for $9.99! First learn to fly it with the two handles provided then use a dowel to make a control "handle" with the same spacing that you keep your hands apart when flying the kite. Then just hold the dowel with one hand and start flying with the dowel held upright. You have to re-identify right and left as up and down but without too much problem you will be doing figure 8's and loops in a short time. On really windy days that are too much for CL flying I pull the kite out and have a lot of fun. See ya in the circle, Bob Furr

Reply to
icerinkdad