.049 head gasket question

Is there a limit to how many times you can remove/reinstall the glowplug off of an .049 engine? I have an engine that I can't get to peak out at max rpm, and one of the areas I'm suspicious of the glowplug/head gasket seal.

Reply to
Zootal

You can usually see the leak bubbling if there is one, especially if you richen it up so the engine and the front of the plane look like a glazed donut.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

I'm running on a bench, but I'm going to reconfigure my test stand and make it heavier because some vibration issues. I picked up a fuel filter yesterday, and I'll be sure to check for leakage. Think I'll take it apart and flush out the guts while I'm at it.

Reply to
Ook

Good plan, but did you see air bubbling out of the head/cylinder joint?

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

I didn't notice any bubbling from the head gasket area. I did take it apart, and found that the inlet where the venturi and needle valve assembly goes is cracked. And this is a brand new engine! I'm going to try an identical engine on the bench and see how it runs. I have a feeling this engine is good for spare parts and nothing more :(

Reply to
Ook

"Ook" wrote

Before you give up on it, try piling some JB Weld around it. It will not cost much to try.

I have a Fox .40 that I damaged in a crash, and have been running it for 10 years with a similar JB Weld repair on it.

Reply to
Morgans

I've got a dozen identical engines, all NIB. It's not really worth the effort to fix it. I am concerned, however, that it might be some sort of design flaw, and the rest of the engines might be susceptible to the same thing. How well does JB Weld stick to plastic? I wonder if I might be better off using epoxy?

Reply to
Ook

The problem is not uncommon, but I think it happens mostly to engines that get bounced around with lots of junk in boxes and drawers, and while crashing of course. If you are careful to protect them in storage you shouldn't have a problem.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

yes

I wonder if I might

JB Weld mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

"Ook" > wrote

JB Weld, simply put, is epoxy that stands up to a fair amount of heat, and has ground up metal in it for strength.

If the plastic is scuffed up, and cleaned with acetone, or alcohol, it will stick.

Reply to
Morgans