1/4" router wheel holder

I am looking at this harbor freight item (any opinions will be appreciated).

This would be used mostly for sharpening tungstens, I would hope that it would be cheaper in the long run to use them, rather than my borazon wheel of the drill doctor.

My question is, it is supposed to be mounted on a 1/4" diameter shaft with a holding screw at the end, but I do not know what these shafts are called or how to find them. I am sure that they are very common. Does anyone know what are these router shafts called, thanks

Ignoramus24284

Mandrels?

Suggest if you do more than a one-off tungstens to look into a diamond (flat) wheel for an angle grinder and a cordless screwdriver with a small chuck to fit the tungsten. The angle grinder is best if it's cordless also. Chuck the tungsten in the screwdriver (shorties work best and being a screwdriver instead of a drill, the rotation speed is slower and easier to control), place against the angle grinder with both running and you get good control and a perfect tip every time...the angle grinder disk will last a loooooong time.

koz

Reply to
Koz

e.g.

Grant Erwin

Thanks, Grant and Koz. I now have a good idea of what I would have to get besides the wheels. I will look around for better stuff, as well.

Ignoramus24284

Thank you Koa and Grant. I won a 6" diamond wheel that can be mounted on a regular bench grinder, for $16.50, and plan on just using it on my small Menards grinder. It is 6" diameter, 3/4" wide, and looks like it has a 1/8" diamond outer ring. A little worn, but still has plenty for my needs.

I hope that all goes well with this transaction.

Ignoramus1648