10 HP Carburator Conumdrum

Have a 10HP Tecumseh engine powered project going.. I need to have a full range, throttleable carb, but all I can find are governor type WOT carbs for this engine size. These don't have adjustable needle valves or jets. I don't need to have a Tecumseh-any model will do and I can adapt it as req. Mower shops are no joy-they just want to order a carb for the engine model#- no imagination there. Any ideas? JR

Reply to
JR North

Motorcycle junkyard - perhaps some of the smaller dirtbikes? Perhaps not so small, at that - suspect carb size has more to do with cc/ci displacement than "power" - a dirtbike of the same displacement as a stationary 10hp is probably more horsepower, but likely the flow is more or less in line?

Reply to
Ecnerwal

a) go-kart and minibike forums b) single-cylinder motorcycle carb for about the same displacement (make sure it's a 4-stroke carb, they are different)

In the Honda realm, many carbs out there for an XR100 (100cc), XR200, XR400, XR600, XR650, and even a vacuum-slide 650 carb.

If you measure the open (pass-through) throat diameter we can track down a similar sized carb from the on-line specs.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

The carb on my 12 Hp one-lung Wisconsin on my tractor was totally trashed, and the air filters no longer available, it was updraft which doesn't work so well, etc.

I had a carb off a Honda motorcycle that I adapted to the engine, and had to rig a little bell-crank to turn the governor-throttle linkage to the right direction. I also had to add a fuel pump and header tank to get fuel sufficiently above the carb, but it works WAY better than the original gravity-fed system which crapped out every time you were on a hill. I made up a plate that adapts a small rectangular auto air filter.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Thought about a small scooter carb, but they are pretty much all 2 cycle...not *sure* those would work.... JR

Reply to
JR North

Agreed. But the WOT carbs aren't intended to run constantly below the governor speed. The idle stop just keeps the governor from stalling the engine if it backs off. The idle/off idle jets are just drilled holes; no adjustment for mixture, so they basically just keep the engine lit until it's revved back up to speed. JR

Reply to
JR North

Get a Tillotson HR from an old snowmobile engine, or a motorcycle carb from a 250-ish cc single, or any number of other carbs made for engines of similar displacement or power output, that ARE adjustable

Reply to
clare

If it has a governor, it is NOT fixed at WOT. The throttle is controlled by the governor - the only problem with using one as an ungoverned unit is getting the linkage sorted out. The governor varies the throttle to maintain a set speed under varying loads.

We used to build mini-bikes using governed lawnmower motors by taking off the governor spring and using a string to operate the throttle. An old Lauson 2 HP engine could REALLY wind out - for a couple of hours of fun.

Reply to
clare

OK- thanks for the thoughts. Snagged this:

Should work with a little tweakage. JR

Reply to
JR North

Good deal. Those are $54.25 in the Amazone. The Big Question: Can you get spare parts for it?

-- Make awkward sexual advances, not war.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It has the Keihin logo, a stylized K. Keihin is famous in the motorcycle industry. Good stuff.

Below the K it says "STANDARD OF JAPAN", sort of a strange statement. The Chinese make strange statements.

My guess is, it's a copy of the same 27mm Keihin carb on my 1979 Honda

180cc single.
Reply to
beryl