2 part painting in hot weather

"The Kid", my 20 year old, is painting his vintage 'stang this weekend. Using 2 part polyurethane paint.

Yesterday, on the prime coat, the paint thickened up in the gun and caused sputtering - it was 90 degrees.

He's waiting till 8:00 this evening to shoot the final coat. Hopefully the temp will be below 85 by then. Should he reduce the amount of activator to account for hot weather? What problem could reducing the activator cause?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Humidity increases as the emperature drops in the evening/night and can cause "blushing" in some paints. IMO, it would be better to paint in the morning as the temperature is rising.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

--Best way to do it is to getcher self one of those cheap "carport" sized tents from a 'big box' store and get the car/boat/whatever in the shade before you attempt to do the deed. Best time to paint is late morning, after the dew has evaporated.

Reply to
steamer

I told the kid this. But, I ain't EVER seen him up early on Sunday morning. Maybe if he got in before 3:00....

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Sounds like he doesn't know how to read yet. The documentation on the paint specifies the mixture for particular temp ranges. Tell him to go read the data sheet and follow it.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Your reducer is made for different temps. Maybe he used the wrong reducer.

Reply to
Tony

There's a lot of different 2-part urethane systems, they vary from one brand to the next. The PPG stuff I've been working with has a number of different catalysts depending on what temperature range and paint type you're working with and the primer handles entirely differently than the top coat. You really need the spec sheets from the supplier, they're free and have a whole lot of info on the material, not just material safety stuff. The stuff isn't Bondo, the material is specified to work with certain proportions of activator/catalyst and diluant, it may not set up right or at all if you mess with those. If it's the first job he's done, the final coat will seldom be the final coat. Been there, done that.

When I was doing some touchup on the van, I usually waited until a little before sundown, the wind dies down then and stuff settles out of the air. Besides, it usually took until then to get the primer wet-sanded out and everything masked, prepped, cleaned and ready to go.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer