Little Jim - Part 2

For those who are not subscribers to the SEL (Stationary Engine List in
ATIS), a bit of background might be enlightening. That group has had a
long-running bit of fun and nonsense regarding Maytag engines, usually
in a mock deprecatory tone. These little 2-stroke air cooled engines
were originally used on Maytag washing machines. They have a pedal
kick-starter, and often run rather smokey (probably because some owners
over-oiled the fuel),and are subject to as much love as banter.
One member in particular, Dave, is very voluble, he claims they
are not "proper" engines, just "motors", and it has all become quite
hilarious - the repartee is sharp and amusing, but not really serious or
bitter. Dave published a picture of himself displaying his opinion of
Maytags, kneeling beside a Maytag in which he had deeply embedded an
axe, prompting my attention.
Edward Farmer was the poet. He wrote "The Colliers Dying Child" in 1846,
a real tear-jerker popular when such mawkish recitations were performed
in Victorian (UK) parlours.
I am just the parody-ist.
Anyway, in response to popular demand, here is Part 2 . . .
=====
"Little Jim" - The Restorer's's Dying Maytag - by JW²
(with apologies to Edward Farmer)
Part 2 of 4
"I have no pain dear Restorer now
But Oh! I am so dry!
Just moisten poor Jim's plug once more
And, for Gawd's sake, do not cry."
With gentle trembling hands
He held the petrol to Jim's plug
It seemed to smile to thank him as it took
A tiny little glug.
"Tell Dave R. when he comes from work
I said good night to him.
And now dear Owner I'll go to sleep."
Alas, poor little Jim.
======
JW² who prefers to remain anonymous
Reply to
jw²
With a tear in my eye thinking about my own little 'twin', I had to skip over to SEL (public archives) to try and find the rest - but still I am waiting for the promised happy ending!
Reply to
Nick H