kerosene take 2

Hi all,
Is it possible to run a diesel engine on kerosene?
Regards,
Martin Brooks

It's easily possible.
Taken straight from the Lister CS instruction manual: Kerosene may be used but only if an admixture of 1/2 pint of lubricating oil per two gallons of kerosene is used.
Use about 1 pint of cheap 20/50 lub oil with about 5 gallons of 28 second kero and the old Peugeot Diesel engines will do 200,000 miles without any problem. (so a friend tells me :-) )
Julian.

..and if you get the ratio wrong say good night to either your injector pump or injectors, depending what way the error is!

Lister must have done their research and experimentation and I would trust them 100%. How do you get 1/2 pint to two gallons seriously wrong unless you're a nincompoop! There is obviously a fair tolerance in their suggested ratio, if it was critical then Lister would have brought it to the user's attention.
Julian.

Quite easily actually, remember that the resultant 'mix' is reliant on how well the two elements are combined - a bit like 2 stroke fuel, always best to add the larger quantity to the smaller that has been dispensed into a suitable tank/can.
There is obviously a fair tolerance in their suggested

With all due respects to Lister, they will have designed their engines to run on 'crap', unfortunately some other engines will not and this being Usenet and all that one really shouldn't just assume that the OP is talking about portable/stationary engines just because the groups name is uk.rec.engines.stationary...

Actually quite a compliment to Lister I think! I'm sure that no one (even on usenet) would be daft enough to assume that the instruction book for a vintage slow speed engine hewn from solid iron 'would do' for a modern whizzy HDi lump or similar ;-)
Nick H

Yup, and I've never had trouble mixing 2-stroke either, even at the age of 16 when 2-stroke oil dispensers lived on garage forecourts. I re-affirm that anyone who can't mix up a bit of oil and kero at roughly the right ratio and stick it in a fuel tank is a nincompoop - and most likely wouldn't be asking the question in the first place.

Nonsense, Lister provide a list of specifications for fuel oil for their engine, their specs meet BS 209 (1937, high speed Diesel fuel) It specifically mentions that 'crap' (as you put it) like residual oils must not be used.

The question was 'can a diesel engine run on kero and what would you add to it.' the answer is yes, and lubricating oil. The OP didn't want a thesis on differing fuel injection technology and the universal suitability for types to handle kero.

Being Usenet it would be less condescending to assume that the OP was referring to SEs on a SE group unless he specifically mentioned that he was not.
Julian.
Julian,
Who got out of the wrong side of bed then :-))
Martin P

That was at 04.30 :-(
My day was finished at work by 12.00 :-)
Julian.

http://www.prepair.co.uk http://www.prepair.eu

Can't improve on that, though I have worked night shifts in the past. Recommended because all the trouble maker management are at home and work was normally very smooth and pleasant(ish) :-)
Julian.

Err, no, these people are the ones most likely to ask such a question. Also, lets just remind ourselves as to what you actually said shall we "Taken straight from the Lister CS instruction manual: Kerosene may be used but only if an admixture of 1/2 pint of lubricating oil per two gallons of kerosene is used.", so if someone does as you suggests and fills a two gallon tank all but full of Kerosene, then adds 1/2 pint of 20/50 on top and then starts the engine are you seriously suggesting that the injector pump will receive the correct lubrication - if so you are IMO, and to use your phrase, a nincompoop yourself!

I was talking about diesel fuel oils, which as you should know can be inconsistent around the world, but if you want to purposely miss-understand my point to carry on arguing so be...

Then the ONLY answer should have been "NO!". Unless we know exactly what engine the OP wants to use this Kerosene/oil mix on the question can't be answered unless the basics of the differing fuel injection technology are mentioned.

Sorry but you seem to understand even less about Usenet that you do fuel injection technology, I also post to a group that was set up to deal with (home) video content creation - you would be surprised to know that about half the posts are now about digital TV (simply due to the fact that the word "digital" is used in the groups name), how do we know that the OP hasn't simply asked this question here because of the word "engine" in the groups name?...
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 13:49:22 -0000, ":Jerry:"

Check your dictionary for the meaning of 'can'.
In my book, the answer is YES.
If the question was 'should', 'would it be OK' etc, then the answer needs qualifying.
Tim.

The original question was "Is it possible to run a diesel engine on kerosene?" which is equivalent to a 'would it be OK' question, so indeed the answer does need qualifying, which is what was (originally) done. My comment (above) was in reply to the suggestion that there was no need to go into such details, a simple - "Yes" - answer being all that was required. May I suggest that you put your dictionary down and try following the discussion before jumping in with both feet...
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:17:04 -0000, ":Jerry:"

Not in my book it isn't. 'Possible' and 'sensible' are two totally different things. The OP's first version of the question was exactly "Can you run a diesel engine on kerosene? If so what would need to be added to it?"
Tim

Are you seriously suggesting that you would answer 'Yes' to the following, "Is it possible to run a diesel engine on petrol?", after all it's quite possible for a diesel engine to run on petrol [1] and as the 'OP' had not said why they might want to do so (or indeed if the question is just hypothetical) - should we just assume that they want to 'kill' their engine?!
[1] for a very short period of time before something breaks big-time
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:22:18 -0000, ":Jerry:"

No, I wouldn't because petrol has never been regarded as a suitable fuel for diesel engines (apart from a few multifuel engines). In fact I think you might have trouble starting a diesel on pure petrol.
A quote from a Gardner engine instruction manual (4LK) "Paraffin, as used in lamps and heating appliances, is an excellent fuel, having a high ignition quality, and, therefore, particularly suitable under conditions of extreme cold, but , if blended for use in spark ignition engines, is unsuitable for compression ignition engines, since it has a low ignition quality" (their punctuation!)
Tim

You really have missed the point. :~((
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:44:35 -0000, ":Jerry:"

Not sure which one. Don't answer that <G>
BTW my VW diesel car ran perfectly well, albeit driven gently, on 50% petrol/diesel mix for a little while, after some (ahem!) careless refuelling. Starting was noticeably poorer, though. I filled it often (with diesel!) to dilute the petrol for a couple of weeks, as well as adding a bit of 2-stroke oil to the tank, then ran the tank right down to get rid of as much residual petrol as possible. That was about 60,000 miles ago, it now has about 160,000 on the clock. I suspect that modern computer-controlled diesels might cope better with that sort of insult than would the older, purely mechanical, models. Just guessing there.
Tim
Good point. I was given ten gallons of Diesel/petrol mix & disposed of it by adding about three gallons per tankfull to my 20 year old BMW 535iSE with a 3.5 litre straight six petrol engine. The difference - if there was one - was minimal & the only thing I noticed was a faint Diesel smell for a week or two.
regards,
Kim Siddorn