kerosene take 2

No, I wouldn't because petrol has never been regarded as a suitable fuel for diesel engines (apart from a few multifuel engines). In fact I think you might have trouble starting a diesel on pure petrol.

A quote from a Gardner engine instruction manual (4LK) "Paraffin, as used in lamps and heating appliances, is an excellent fuel, having a high ignition quality, and, therefore, particularly suitable under conditions of extreme cold, but , if blended for use in spark ignition engines, is unsuitable for compression ignition engines, since it has a low ignition quality" (their punctuation!)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Coo, this is pretty exciting stuff, I'll go and get myself a coffee & some biccies. Try & keep the flame alight until I get back ;o))

On the "I was up earlier than thou" thing, I was still up at 5.30am then went to bed & got up at 9.30am. It was a good day for flying a kite here & all my tarped engines were in independent motion.

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

You really have missed the point. :~((

Reply to
:Jerry:

I supect from the OP's email address that the question may well refer to 'your' sort of engine Tim.

NickH

Reply to
NHH

Weeell those, shall we say, 'variations' together with the " snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.INVALID" email address and almost willful misunderstanding of the intentions of regular and respected posters does tend to make you resemble a certain Nordic mythical being. So if that is not your thing, you should perhaps think about brushing up on your netiquette.

NickH

Reply to
NHH

Reminds me of another Troll that used to frequent these groups.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Not sure which one. Don't answer that

BTW my VW diesel car ran perfectly well, albeit driven gently, on 50% petrol/diesel mix for a little while, after some (ahem!) careless refuelling. Starting was noticeably poorer, though. I filled it often (with diesel!) to dilute the petrol for a couple of weeks, as well as adding a bit of 2-stroke oil to the tank, then ran the tank right down to get rid of as much residual petrol as possible. That was about 60,000 miles ago, it now has about 160,000 on the clock. I suspect that modern computer-controlled diesels might cope better with that sort of insult than would the older, purely mechanical, models. Just guessing there.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Gas Regulo No 6 should do it.... suitably applied :-))

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

You mean a perfectly valid (and totally 'legal') way of spam-trapping...

So as long as the poster is a regulars s/he can be a regular buffoon, fine, glad we have that sorted...

Anyway, you slag me for having used different 'user names' over many years but then at 15:22 today you post as "Nick H" yet at 19:49 today you post as "NHH", perhaps you should try to practise as you preach...

Reply to
:Jerry:

I must admit gentlemen that I am very close to adding another to the kill file, I just seem not to be able to do it because it fun and like Kim keep getting a cup of tea and coming back to look :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman

Dave.Null?

BTW First few posts with Motzilla (sp?) Thunderbird client - sorry if it's not set up identically to either OE on work machine, OE on home desktop or qusnetsoft (sp?) on PDA, but I think all the regulars know who I am ;-)

NickH

Reply to
NHH

Good point. I was given ten gallons of Diesel/petrol mix & disposed of it by adding about three gallons per tankfull to my 20 year old BMW 535iSE with a

3.5 litre straight six petrol engine. The difference - if there was one - was minimal & the only thing I noticed was a faint Diesel smell for a week or two.

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

No, don't do that, there's not that many on this group anyway! I don't post that much really because I tend to find time a little short and I'm more into old cars and things at the mo. I hadn't noticed that :Jerry: was an obvious trouble maker frequenting many groups. (and probably an unemployed short a**se!)

Back to the kero conundrum, I know of about 5 people at work who have used

28 second (central heating) oil in their Diesel cars for many years. Not me BTW I'm on LPG central heating and would prolly get caught by HMRC. The funniest one was a chap who worked night shifts in a maintenance hangar at EMA airport. He would drain 'samples' of fuel from B737's on check and tip them into his Diesel Citroen Visa tank - he did that for years IIRC. One other chap drove between Aberdeen and Birmingham twice a week for several years on kero, he told me once that he saved £10,000 over the life of his Pug 405 Diesel. It's obviously very naughty but so many people are at it it would appear, including many taxi drivers around the Leeds Bradford area.

I'd be a little wary of putting it into common rail and unit injector engines, a bit of research required first maybe?

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Can't improve on that, though I have worked night shifts in the past. Recommended because all the trouble maker management are at home and work was normally very smooth and pleasant(ish) :-)

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Petrol engines running with diesel fuel in the petrol will at worst not run, mostly emit (more) smoke, at best not even notice (externally) whilst actually helping with upper cylinder lubrication - the same can't be said for compression ignition engines.

Reply to
:Jerry:

"Julian" wrote (snip)

As Harry Charnock put it:-

Forty mpg on crude, Kerosene or treacle; That's the way to dodge the tax, Clonk goes the Diesel.

Nick H

Reply to
Nick H