277 volt lights

Don't bet on that! I see allot of office buildings with 277 volt fixtures, 8 foot ceilings! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Greg

Whats the point?? Didnt you say you wouldnt take then even if they were free?? My point is/was to test one before buying because the industrial balasts are inclined to be noisy. If the ones Andrew can buy are quiet enough, and he likes the fixtures, he can be more assured that the buzz noise will be acceptable to him.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

Just contradicting your comment that, "It is likely that a 277vac fixture was expected to be used in a high ceiling factory environment where ballast noise isn't important." The fixtures could very easily be from an office setting where quiet ballasts would be required.

And what the hell does my choice of fixture have to do ballast noise???

I would not want them because free 120 volt fixtures are available every where, if you know where to look. I installed ten, two bulb, four foot fixtures in my shop last year. They were free, with bulbs, and I could have gotten twenty more if I wanted them. I pass up two bulb, 120 volt troffer fixtures often. I would not want to screw around with 277 volt fixtures, even if they would run on 240 volt. I don't feel the need to complicate my lighting with a mix 240 volt , and 120 volt circuits. Paying $12 each for a used fixture in robbery in my opinion. Any commercial electrician tosses 120 volt fixtures every week, plus you can buy good fixtures new for a few dollars more. Last spring's clean up week I tossed ten troffer fixtures that I had been hoarding. They did not stay on the curb long! Greg

Reply to
Greg O