3/16 x 1/2 aluminum bar

I would really, really like to get my hands on some 3/16" x 1/2" aluminum bar -- 2024 would be nice, but 6061 would be acceptable. 3/16 x 3/8 would be acceptable, too, but if I had to have one it would be 3/16 x 3/8.

I need it for motor mount pads for model airplanes.

I have some 1/2" square bar aluminum Mystery Alloy (I suspect 2024), out of which I can make what I want, but it challenges the accuracy and strength of my (crappy) 3-in-1 machine.

Is there some place that just sells the stuff in cut-off lengths?

If not, does anyone on the list have some 3/16" thick plate of some suitable alloy of which you're willing to whack me out some pieces?

I'll be making some pads that are 2" long and some that are 2-1/2, and maybe some in between, so having some foot-long (or so) bars makes more sense to me than having a bunch of pieces that are cut to length.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Terry Coombs

Bar-12ft-/170751999958

Please, why did it not occur to me to look on FleaBay?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Bar-12ft-/170751999958

Ordered. Thank you.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

What kind of 3-in-1 has trouble milling 1/2" aluminum?? That's a table saw job.

--jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Glad I could help ! ebay is one of my first options - after I check locally . Usually if I can even get it here , ebay is enough cheaper that I'll wait . But then I live in an isolated area , a virtual retail desert .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Terry - where do you live that's so far from metal supplies?

Hul

Terry Coombs wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

I live near Mountain View Arkansas . The nearest freeway is I-40 , a hundred miles os so south . The nearest full service metal supplier is in North Little Rock , also about a hundred miles away - but they do deliver up here twice a week and there's a $25 minimum order . There's also a steel yard about 60 miles from us , but they don't handle small stock , just pipe and structural stuff .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Have you tried

Altho they are quite a drive for me from the far west side. I got some 3/8x3/4 bar from them for use on my tablesaw and am quite satisfied with the product. Art

Reply to
Artemus

There are a bunch of online sellers that are happy to deal in smaller amounts. Online Metals, Shapiro Supply (local to me) and several others have quite a wide range of alloys and shapes available. Just do a Google search on "aluminum bar" and you'll have pages of sellers to choose from. Several have the exact size you are looking for.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I confess i seldom stop by RCM anymore... Too much noise - too little info.

Nice to see a good on topic post and from my fav LinuxCNC guru.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Good to see your name, too, Karl. Once my filters are done, there's not much here, but it's part of my morning ritual while I have my first cup of coffee.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I see it's too late, but I usually go to McMaster-Carr for metal stock. (Is that a bad answer for some reason...?)

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

I see it's too late, but I usually go to McMaster-Carr for metal stock. (Is that a bad answer for some reason...?)

George H. ========================================================

McMaster-Carr has a wide ranging selection, awesome customer service, and ships same day so if they have a warehouse within a couple of states you usually get your stuff the next day by UPS ground. Pricing for metal and plastic stock is about double what you can do by going to a local distributor and upping the volume to full bars or sheets so the total is at least say $50-200, but then you have to need that much and someone has to cut it into smaller pieces if that's what you need. For onesies they are great, you will spend more in time than you can save by looking around, especially if you need some other odds and ends for the project (fasteners, bearings, handles, whatever). Plus they still have the best searchable/browseable e-commerce web site ever, even if they do insist on making it worse every so often just to make changes, sigh.

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Reply to
Carl Ijames

There are great expanses of the US that are long distances from places...where Terry is is highly populated compared to farther west...

Reply to
dpb

This is true , I grew up in Box Elder County Utah , and there are places out there that you can go for miles and miles without seeing any sign of people . Not so much here , but we're still pretty isolated . Small town , tourists are a major industry here but that's seasonal , and we don't even have a Burger King ... just got a Micky-D's a couple of years ago .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

MEEE?? Um, I might confess to being a sophisticated user, but I'm NO guru! I do occasionally go to LinuxCNC code fest meetings, and get to chat with the REAL gurus, however. Those experiences show me how far I am from guru status.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

"just got a Micky-D's a couple of years ago ."

Is that seen as an improvement or the neighbourhood going downhill, for me the latter.

Reply to
David Billington

They usually have nice, clean "facilities" with good hours. I've found them very convenient for those services ;-)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I didn't say I eat there ... however , the Rainbow Cafe has one of the best burgers I've ever eaten . A hundred yards west of the Square on the south side of main . Their French Dip is pretty tasty too ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs