3-Jaw 1"-10 thread wanted

Hey Guys,

My cousin wants to know if anybody here either has for sale, or knows where to purchase a 4" 3-jaw chuck to suit an Atlas 618 lathe?

The unique requirement here is for the TPI to be 1" X 10 thread, to fit the spindle nose directly. Wonder what was wrong with them using

1"X8 TPI or some other more "standard" thread?

Take care,

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

crossposted to modeleng list

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Sherline

KBC Tools
(check out the Bison brand chucks) Little Machine Shop

All above can supply chucks with 1"-10tpi mounting, or suitable sized chucks and suitable backplates.

There are others, too.

Check ebay as well, at least to see how close to retail guys will pay for used or abused goods.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

They did use both threads, actually. The earlier 6" Atlas lathes were

1x8, while the later ones were 1x10. The 1x10s are more common.

I think the 1x10 is a better design, as the 1x8 spindle over the Morse

2 bore gets a bit thin. There is more meat with the 1x10.

Chucks are common on eBay, or new from MSC, etc.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Sherline doesn't carry a 4" 3-jaw. KBC does, part no. 7-805-0451 $188.84 Bison brand, includes 1-10 backing plate. Little Machine Shop shows a 4" 3-jaw on Amazon, $76, 1-10 backing plate another $18 also on amazon:

Recommend the latter option, they're probably all Bison chucks.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I bought a 4" 4-jaw Bison for my 6x18 baby Atlas from MSC. Not that I'm completely thrilled with Bison anything, but for the limited use my little lathe gets and the limited precision at which I work, it's fine.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Hey Guys,

To all that replied to my question here last week, my cousin sends this:

Hey Brian, Thanks for sending me all of the responses to the lathe chuck question. I would really appreciate it if you would thank all of the guys for taking the time and inclination to respond. The answers were insightful and informative. I think that I will purchase the chuck from littlemachineshop.com. For my purposes the Bison chucks from Travers or MSC are a little pricey and I think that for my limited usage, the chuck from lms.com will fit the bill. Later. Bill Lawson

Brian. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX >Hey Guys,

Reply to
Brian Lawson

My wood lathe is a 1" - 10 thread - 1946 vintage give or take - might be '47. I was able to find 6" 1x10 in 3 and 4 jaw - wood grade - but would be better than nothing. IIRC - been years - it was Grizzly that had them. Might check them.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Brian Laws> Hey Guys,

Reply to