Where can I find 1MT - 1/2"-20 arbor?

I've checked all the places I know and nobody seems to carry this. Best I've found is Sears who'll see the arbor with a chuck attached for 25 bucks. I've got three chucks threaded 1/2"-20 and could use some arbors for my 1MT tailstock.

Please don't guess... let me know if you really know a source.

Thanks all,

-Bruno

Reply to
Bruno

Hey Bruno,

I doubt you will find one. 1/2-20 indicates to me a chuck that's probably has a 0 to 1/2 or 5/8" capacity (maybe more), and that's a bit too big for a MT1 taper. An MT1 taper has a "big end" smaller than 1/2", somewhere around 0 .475 I think, so the thread you want is LARGER than the taper. Not impossible of course, but not practical for such a shank of thin material. You would have problem with it twisting the end of the holder off if you put such a big chuck on it and a large drill were to jam.

Understanding you want to use what chucks you have, you may have to make a reducer bushing to suit. Maybe you could just trade one of the chucks for one the proper size?

Take care.

Brian Laws>I've checked all the places I know and nobody seems to carry this.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Thanks, Brian. I had not really thought about it that way. But I know they exist because I have one (albeit a touch bent). And I know that Sears sells them, but only with the chuck attached.

Anyway, I just got an answer the Victor Machinery Exchange carries them.

As for the use, I want to have some common things (e.g. center drill, small drills) that I use a lot all chucked up for faster changing.

Thanks again,

-Bruno

Brian Laws>Hey Bruno,

Reply to
Bruno

Or salvage the chuck from a dead hand drill. I am planing to make a MT1 arbor to mount a Jacobs #0 (JT-0) chuck from a 5/16" bit with the MT1 taper. The big end of JT-0 is 0.25" Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Ever think to consult a Jacobs catalog? A simple search turned up this supplier that lists them:

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Jus keep in mind why the last one was bent......

Gunner

"By calling attention to 'a well regulated militia', the 'security' of the nation, and the right of each citizen 'to keep and bear arms', our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy. Although it is extremely unlikely that the fears of governmental tyranny which gave rise to the Second Amendment will ever be a major danger to our nation, the Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships, in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason, I believe the Second Amendment will always be important." -- Senator John F. Kennedy, (D) 1960

Reply to
Gunner

Yes, definitely keeping this in mind. Since I'm working with plastics, on a little 618 machine, I think I'll be OK for what I'm doing. The other one was bent before I got it.

-Bruno

Reply to
Bruno