3-phase extension cords; 50'?

Hi,

Is it possible to run a 50' extension cord to power a 3-phase 5hp motor?

My latest word on starting a forge is that it may have to be outside but stored inside. I still want a hydraulic press. I didn't know if for higher-power electric machinery extension cords might be considered less than safe...? Or, so long as I buy/build it to handle the amperage and attach the right plugs, there's no reason that it shouldn't work just fine?

thanks! -Bernard Arnest

Reply to
Bernard Arnest

You could use one of the mobile home power cords but a lighter cord should work fine. A 10/4 or 10/3 with ground and a good jacket should enough to run the motor with little loss. Definitely use the ground connection to protect yourself. Verify both ends. (Actually, 12/3 w/ground is probably enough, but I always like a little overkill). Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore

Ive got a couple 100' 3 phase extentsion cords I use regularly, and some 50' ones. Some are #10, most are #8.

An extension cord is no more and no less than 100 feet of conduit. You just have to make sure you use the right size wire inside.

Gunner

That's easy.... you're too dull witted to be capable of surprise. What little synaptic ability you do possess is stretched to the limit with life support. If you diverted power to the critical thought processors you'd asphyxiate in a matter of minutes.

George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

You sure this is Orwell - the language doesnt sound like anything of his I've ever read...been wondering for a few days now....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Well..thats the nym used by the internet poster who wrote that. Its of course not our George Orwell of 1984 fame.

He wrote a far different but equally true statement....

THAT RIFLE HANGING ON THE WALL OF THE WORKING-CLASS FLAT OR LABOURER'S COTTAGE IS THE SYMBOL OF DEMOCRACY. IT IS OUR JOB TO SEE THAT IT STAYS THERE.'

among a few other things of course

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

On Tue, 09 May 2006 10:35:53 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

(Thanks for asking that, Andrew. I had wondered about it, too.)

Then shouldn't be distinguished as such? Try "Usenet George Orwell" or "Another George Orwell" to attribute his quotes.

Isn't that the Democrat (and now Republican) credo?

We're following right on their heels if the whine is any indication.

- Metaphors Be With You -

Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
RoyJ

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked! "The original frugal ponder.."Since my statements are given freely, take em or leave em, I am entitled to my opinion none the less. My opinion and $1 is still only worth $1..... ~~~~ } ~~~~~~ } ~~~~~~~ }

Reply to
~Roy

Forget wire...broadcast power is the answer here!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Easy. We power containers with longer leads than that. In fact I think the min length is 20m.

PDW

Reply to
Peter Wiley

Hi, Thanks for the help! Cool, it looks like this project may be doable, just need to satisfy Safety with it now :-)

-Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Arnest