3D Drawing S/W

I've been looking for a long time for an decent drawing program. I want to be able to draw orthographic or perspective pictures. I use the pictures in-house in order to build stuff, or as a sketch that I can hand off to a real CAD person. I don't care to create some big mathematical construct that rotates, nor do I need to do any kind of serious dimensioning. Nor do I want to learn a CAD program. Something like a souped-up Microsoft Paint would be great. Any recommendations? Thanks -- dt

Reply to
Daven Thrice

You could try this......

It's better suited to org charts and flow charts but can be used for simple diagrams. It has LOTS of templates available for download and best of all it has a fully functioning FREE version!

I got it when I needed to design an electronic circuit one time and have found it a useful program to keep around for those times when it's just easier to use.

Larry Green

Reply to
Larry Green

Why use a computer at all for this?

Simply sketch the parts on paper in isometric, that's probably enough for the real cad folks to work from.

At that level it's a lot faster, and the results are typically nicer anyway.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Once again, AutoSketch would fill the bill. While it has been designed as a simple 2d Cad program, they have "3D features" that allow you to quickly extrude 3D views, automatically handling hidden line issues.... look for nothing less than Autosketch release 7, of which can be found here and there for the $50 neighborhood. Newer versions didn't really change much, with the latest only offering more "lineweights", a very old gripe many had.

Here is a link:

And here is what they say about the 3d stuff....

3D Effects: Access tools for dressing up 2D drawings for presentations from the 3D Effects toolbar. These tools automatically take a top, front, or side view and skew it, turning it into an isometric view. Add 3D text as a final touch. An automatic extrusion tool not only extrudes at a changeable distance and angle but also automatically removes hidden lines.

Chris L

Reply to
Chris L

A few dimensions and tolerances would probably help those real cad folks do their job a bit better.

Just yesterday, one of the CAD managers at work was telling me that our machine shop (large R&D lab) occasionally get a nice, computer generated isometric picture from one of the scientists with the request to "make it just like this".

Reply to
Mike Henry