3D-Printing Spare Human Parts; Need an Organ? Just Print It

3D-Printing Spare Human Parts; Need an Organ? Just Print It Townhall.com ^ | August 19, 2013 | Mike Shedlock

Science marches on at a blistering pace. The star-trek "replicator" that seemed preposterously far-fetched is now here.

For example: Accidentally cut your ear off? Just 3D print a new one

This week, researchers at Hangzhou Dianzi University in China unveiled their Regenovo 3D printer. Unlike more familiar 3D printers, which work with plastic or metal dust, Regenovo prints living tissue - such as these little ears.

The Hangzhou team aren't the only ones 3D-printing spare parts for people. Earlier this year, a team at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, also demonstrated an ear printer, and Organovo in San Diego, California, are on the way to building fresh human livers

Hey Doc, I want a bigger ____. I need a smaller butt. I want eyes with 20-20 vision. I want to look like ___ ___.

Reply to
Ray Keller

Fascinating!!

Gunner

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer." Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Will they ever be able to print new brains for idiots, fools, morons or trolls? We could sure use less fat doorstops. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 19 Aug 2013

21:18:04 -0400 typed in misc.survivalism the following:

Yes, but why? They're not using the ones they have?

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Gunner Asch on Mon, 19 Aug 2013 19:45:39 -0700 typed in misc.survivalism the following:

So, it has been tried already, and we're in beta field testing?

"Fascinating."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

They don't have any. Where do you think Igor got the jar labeled "Abby Normal"?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Tue, 20 Aug 2013

15:12:19 -0400 typed in misc.survivalism the following:

Well, yes, from a jar on the shelf. After someone else took it from the factory sealed container.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

"Michael A. Terrell" on Tue, 20 Aug 2013

15:13:09 -0400 typed in misc.survivalism the following:

Federal Contract, or private sector?

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

And that container was hard as rock. Ripped the teeth right off the saw, it did! :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Does it matter for < 1/1000 cent worth of plastic?

Quote from WKRP in Cincinnati: "Insist on Genuine Plastic!"

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 21 Aug 2013

15:31:26 -0400 typed in misc.survivalism the following:

Like I implied - depends on whether it is a private company making them for sale, or on a Federal Contract, at Cost plus, and compliance with all the Federal Regulations. I mean, if it was me, I could probably knock em off for a buck. Friday good for you? But for a Federal Contract ... lessee, going to need to hire two more assistants in HR just to make sure we have sufficient assistants enabling diversity. And of course, Davis Bacon means we'll have to pay "prevailing wages." And the labor negotiations are going to take some time, and we'll probably need to hire a tax attorney and a labor attorney. Hmm, going to need more office space, so that will raises costs as well. Did I mention the need to document that the plastic is all made from genuine recycled virgin organic plastics made in accordance with Fair Trade Standards? So less see, what with the documentation, regulatory compliance, and the testing - we should be able to start in December. Of 2014. Maybe. Because we're going to have to find a new Certified Plastic Neuron Molding Machine Operator (Preferably a female disable veteran of color with an alternative lifestyle who has been long term unemployed.), as the last one was laid off in a round of revenue preservation retrenchments.

You reckon we can find one down at Labor Ready?

Made by Bronzed American Working Men from Pittsburgh!

Reply to
pyotr filipivich