400Hz 3-phase power

Will any commonly available 240V VFDs go up to 400Hz? Need around

7.5HP.
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

my hitachi and my mitsubeshe (sp) both do 0 to 360 Hz.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Powering up your surplus Minuteman missile?

Reply to
Jim Stewart
5hp motortronics does 0 to 400 Hz
Reply to
Karl Townsend

At least some Yaskawas and Mitsubishis do; I've used them up in that range on high speed spindles.

If you're ebaying for used Yaskawas, be aware that in the past many were rebranded as Magnetek GPD5xx.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Close. Testing a mass of sophisticated equipment that gets crammed into a small cargo aircraft.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

It seems like a 60Hz to 400Hz converter would be a common accessory in avionics shops -- or do they go for avionics prices?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

ha

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I suspect most provide a few watts; at best tens of same.

Reply to
David Lesher

60 / 400 Hz motor gensets are a fairly common military surplus item these days
Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

You might want to look at this. It's the way we tested missiles in the Army.

I bet they'd take half the asking price.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

A VFD does NOT produce 240 V sine waves. It produces 400 V square waves that are the equivalent to a MOTOR, ONLY! it will definitely fry any electronics you connect to it!

It is theoretically possible to filter the VFD output, but that would be a significant job to build.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I want to run an MG set off of it to get (a lot of) DC . ;-)

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Gee, seems like a VERY round-about way to make DC. But, if you already have the MG set, then it will work.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Then why not just get a big DC power supply?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Why do they use 400 Hz for anything?

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

400 Hz reduces the iron needed in magnetics such as generators, motors and transformers. Weight is a big big factor in aircraft.
Reply to
David Lesher

Also makes it easier to get the speed required for gyro instruments.

Reply to
clare

Did anyone consider that he wants to test that power supply?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Some of the Mitsubishi ones will. Possibly others. You need to go into the configuration options to enable going that high.

O.K. No knowledge about that. I have a 3 HP one which will go up to 400 Hz if properly configured.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols