400Hz 3 phase

A mate of mine is looking for a way of powering a piece of equipment that needs 200v 3phase 400Hz at 1500VA. I'm guess the solution will be a motor generator set of some sort but any clues on where to pick one up? It will need to run from single phase 50Hz domestic mains. He does not want to modify the equipment internally but would happily improvise on the power converter method.

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

You could use a drive and run the frequency to 400Hz no sweat. The Control Techniques Commander SE will do that.

What's the load?

Rob.

Reply to
brushhead

It just so happens that I have a huge 400 c/s 3 phase 450 v alternator. This could run about 15 bits of equipment like your mate's. It used to be driven by a 30 hp. 3 phase motor to provide a High Cycle regulated supply to a mainframe computer that I was once responsible for. I could deliver, but it is about half a ton! What a wonderful project that would be. ( A bit like what I am trying to do below with my 65 Kw Alternator) It would keep him out of mischief for months. An engine or motor of about 3-4 horsepower would drive it and I even have a voltage regulator. He would need a small transformer though, to get 200 vac

Regards George.

Reply to
George

Hi Rob,

The load is a rectifier stack/high voltage power supply so will have a highly harmonic content. I'm concerned that an inverter and all it's monitoring circuitry will not like the load. I thought about putting an idler motor to help smooth this out but 50Hz motor will not like running at 400hz either mechanically due to the speed and electrically due to eddy losses.

I have an inverter but I don't want to risk pranging it. Bit expensive to replace!

Thanks for your interest.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

A little bit over the top on power plus sourcing a 400Hz 3 phase transformer is not likely to be easy. What is the shaft speed - 8000rpm?

cheers

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Is this power for some aircraft equipment? Normally people talk of 115V. (phase to neutral?) Government or military surplus stockists would be a thought. All the old aircraft used motor/generator units for small power requirements for avionic equipment and the like.... Normally 28v DC powered so you'd need a hefty 28v DC power supply :-)

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Yes phase to netural of 115v equivalent to 208v ish phase to phase. A motor generator set used on the ground for servicing airbourne equipment would be ideal but Changing the motor on a 28vdc one would be viable - 3hp should be Ok.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

No it is multi-pole so it only requires 1,470 something - er 1,500. (?)

I have the in-line 22Kw motor that used to drive it, (in fact I have two) if you have a standard 3 phase supply. He could use 3 single phase auto transformers. Easy to find.

George.

Reply to
George

Yes I think it would be risky too. I might suggest filters to smooth out the humps and bumps but it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Rob.

Reply to
brushhead