4130 cleanup & corrosion treatments?

Hi all, Regarding 4130...

Is the outer coating on 4130 tubing just firescale as with other steel? When welding 4130, I've been grinding it just enough to expose the steel underneath and the welds have been good. Does this outer coating need to be stripped off prior to painting, also?

One project has sat a bit too long and has a fair amount of light rust. I figure it can be cleaned up with a good sanding. Which leads to...

In the context of working in a residential garage, are there safe products I can use to: (a) chemically clean metal? (b) pickle 4130 to prevent rust? with "safe" meaning not only safe to use, but easy to dispose of at neighborhood collections.

(At least, that's what I understand "pickling" to be from reading the newsgroup. Is that like gun bluing?)

thanks in advance,

-Brent

Reply to
Brent Burton