5052 1" ID Tube (No Politics)

I need a short piece of 1" ID tube for the drain on an aluminum boat I recently repaired. I've started realizing that may not be so easy to find. I figured for a scrap piece Ebay would be my friend, but no such luck. Then I checked Speedy Metals and Discount Steel on-line. Still no luck. There is plenty of 6061 options available, but no 5052. I'm about at that point where I am thinking I may have to make a piece of tube.

It doesn't need to be accurate to tenths, but it does need to be pretty close to 1" when finished. The rubber expansion plug can make up for quite a lot of variation though.

Where I am running into issues is how to actually go about making a tube that small, that I can weld. I can weld down to .08 pretty fair with my Miller 212, but that's not really easy to form. Also, the only .080 I have are the scraps I removed from the boat before cutting in my patches and welding them. The original drain tube was crushed when the boat was damaged. I've got plenty of .1 and .125 scraps laying around.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

why not bore a proper sized hole in some solid material and then weld it to the inside of the boat? or even add a flange that is outside for extra strength

Reply to
Bill

Are there any alloys that are compatible that will work instead (5083 is available from McMaster, but I have no clue how easy it'd be to weld to

5052, or how long it'd last in the water if you did)?

Can you make a bolt-in or screw-in drain tube from 5083? Or plastic? Possibly with a gasket that prevents galvanic contact? If necessary you could weld in a reinforcement plate where the tube bolts on.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Aircraft Spruce carries it.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Anneal some 6061??

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

And you can use the other 5', 9" to build another 23 boats!

(I'd call and see if they have off cuts, and be ready with my credit card for a 6' long piece if they don't).

Reply to
Tim Wescott

If the 6' bothers you, Wickes sells it by the foot.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Steve W.

My bay boat uses a couple larger size plugs, 1-1/4". Maybe they'd fit a pipe sized tube.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor