90 lbs battery charger

I have a very heavy military surplus 12V battery charger. Maybe 80 lbs (WAG). I could not sell it. It works, but is heavy and bulky. Is there any human reason to keep it, or should I just remove all usable pieces and throw it away? It has some smarts in it that only turn the transformer on when the battery is connected. (which I consider to be bad for any purposes other than battery charger).

Ignoramus18245

larry g

I figured out how to make my MIG welder act like a DC power supply. That's the only way to go for electrolytic derusting -- nudge the volts up until you get a nice even bubbling.

I figure there is an optimal current per unit surface area of the anode being derusted. I don't know what that is, but lots of guys just say "get it up to about 2-4 amps" or something, which is fine for something the size of a screwdriver, but for a truck bumper you'd need a lot more amps to get nice bubbles everywhere.

GWE

larry g wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant your 100% right, but he isn't scrapping out a welder.... An 80 pound charger ought to be able to deliver the amps to do a bumper. A door from a Mack truck takes about 18 amps at 12v. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

Thanks guys... I do not think that I would have much interest in derusting, bit tanks, etc.

Now if I could make a mini welder...

Ignoramus18245

Why not toss it up on ebay? Have you explored craigslist.org? The best damn classifieds in the world. Whatever, and I mean _whatever_ you want to buy, sell, barter, give away, or yak about you can do there.

Reply to
carl mciver

There were no takers at $9.99 on ebay. I may give it away via freecycle.org.

Ignoramus18245