A case for Aluminum Welding?

A garage sale mistake here:
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/aluminum-wrench.jpg
This is a 24" aluminum pipe wrench.
If you look closely, you will see that this wrench has a crack on the
left side that I did not notice.
This seems to be a good case for trying to do aluminum welding for some good reason.
So my question is, is welding of this wrench, a bad idea for any reason? Any idea what kind of aluminum these wrenches are made of?
On Jun 4, 9:33 am, Ignoramus16961 <ignoramus16...@NOSPAM. 16961.invalid> wrote:

Hmm, aluminum, or an aluminum-magnesium alloy?
Dave

I've wondered that myself, and I don't know. My guess is a moderately strong but moderately priced alloy that also forges easily; maybe 6061. If it's 2024 (possible) or 7075 (very unlikely), you can't weld it and produce a strong fix.
Aluminum alloy-testing kits tend to be expensive. But the tests for 2024 are simple; I forget what they are. What you're looking for is copper in the alloy. Any of the 2000-series are going to give you welding trouble unless you're very knowledgable.
The ASM published a book of simple tests that's supposed to be really good, but I've never seen it. You may find it in a university library: _Rapid Spot Testing of Metals, Alloys and Coatings_, by Andrew Holmes.
-- Ed Huntress
Ignoramus16961 wrote:

Worst case it's still worth 75 cents a pound at the scrap recyclers. If you paid a buck or two at a garage sale you can get your money out that way.
Grant
ignoramus16961@NOSPAM.16961.invalid says...

It doesn't apply in your case, but my grandfather used to repair iron Ridgid pipe wrenches. He was retired from Ridgid at their main plant in Elyria, Ohio, and they outsourced the repair of large pipe and nut wrenches used in the oil fields.
Many is the time when I was little (1950's) that I watched him grind the bevels, and braze a wrench. He used a large rosebud tip with the flame set so soft it waved around as he moved the torch, making a soft hiss that I can still recall.
He used to tell me they would sometimes get a wrench back for another break, but the braze repair held and the wrench broke in another spot.
--
Dennis

None that I know of, what have you got to lose?

If the aluminum handle was forged, welding will not really work.
Joe Gwinn
Ignoramus16961 wrote:

That's an interesting failure - in *normal* use that area of the wrench is in _compression_ & shear. Putting tension there, to get it to crack, would require using it backwards & I don't think that it's possible to use a pipe wrench backwards - I think that it would always release in that use. I suppose that it could have cracked from someone using it as a hammer, but *who* would do that?
As far as welding it - I dunno.
Bob
Ignoramus16961 wrote:

You're not going to know the state of the repair until you are putting lots of torque on it. The only way I would trust it is to stress test it after welding. Ernie says use 4047 on cast aluminum. Try that or 4043. Test it with a long cheater before use.
--
John L. Weatherly

please remove XXXs to reply via email
Ignoramus16961 wrote:

If you no regard for a future user's safety, go to it. The fact that you're asking, does suggest you know next to nothing about aluminum welding.
Tom

he doesn't know much about anything. Just check out his previous posts.
On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 20:03:41 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

Iggy in his own way, is one of the smartest people posting on these newsgroups.
He learns fast, knows when he doesnt know something and isnt afraid to ask questions..intelligent questions...nor does he claim to know everthing, unlike many posters do. Even questions that may make him look ignorant.
Ignorance can be cured, as he so aptly demonstrates
Stupid is for life...as others so aptly demonstrate so very often.
Gunner

Thanks. I think that same about you actually, much to learn and all.

Blink blink.......huh?
Gunner

Use of a pipe on the very end of the wrench?
Ignoramus16961 writes:

This is properly called a "torque amplifier".
Richard J Kinch wrote:

In this case, they 'torqued off' the end of the handle. :(
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html