A case for Aluminum Welding?

A garage sale mistake here:

This is a 24" aluminum pipe wrench.

If you look closely, you will see that this wrench has a crack on the left side that I did not notice.

This seems to be a good case for trying to do aluminum welding for some good reason.

So my question is, is welding of this wrench, a bad idea for any reason? Any idea what kind of aluminum these wrenches are made of?

Reply to
Ignoramus16961

Hmm, aluminum, or an aluminum-magnesium alloy?

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Worst case it's still worth 75 cents a pound at the scrap recyclers. If you paid a buck or two at a garage sale you can get your money out that way.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

It doesn't apply in your case, but my grandfather used to repair iron Ridgid pipe wrenches. He was retired from Ridgid at their main plant in Elyria, Ohio, and they outsourced the repair of large pipe and nut wrenches used in the oil fields.

Many is the time when I was little (1950's) that I watched him grind the bevels, and braze a wrench. He used a large rosebud tip with the flame set so soft it waved around as he moved the torch, making a soft hiss that I can still recall.

He used to tell me they would sometimes get a wrench back for another break, but the braze repair held and the wrench broke in another spot.

Reply to
DT

None that I know of, what have you got to lose?

Reply to
Maxwell

I've wondered that myself, and I don't know. My guess is a moderately strong but moderately priced alloy that also forges easily; maybe 6061. If it's

2024 (possible) or 7075 (very unlikely), you can't weld it and produce a strong fix.

Aluminum alloy-testing kits tend to be expensive. But the tests for 2024 are simple; I forget what they are. What you're looking for is copper in the alloy. Any of the 2000-series are going to give you welding trouble unless you're very knowledgable.

The ASM published a book of simple tests that's supposed to be really good, but I've never seen it. You may find it in a university library: _Rapid Spot Testing of Metals, Alloys and Coatings_, by Andrew Holmes.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

If the aluminum handle was forged, welding will not really work.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

That's an interesting failure - in *normal* use that area of the wrench is in _compression_ & shear. Putting tension there, to get it to crack, would require using it backwards & I don't think that it's possible to use a pipe wrench backwards - I think that it would always release in that use. I suppose that it could have cracked from someone using it as a hammer, but *who* would do that?

As far as welding it - I dunno.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

You're not going to know the state of the repair until you are putting lots of torque on it. The only way I would trust it is to stress test it after welding. Ernie says use 4047 on cast aluminum. Try that or 4043. Test it with a long cheater before use.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

I see that area as being in tension when pulling on a large pipe, if the extending bar holding the upper jaw is against the pipe.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

If you no regard for a future user's safety, go to it. The fact that you're asking, does suggest you know next to nothing about aluminum welding.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

he doesn't know much about anything. Just check out his previous posts.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Blink blink.......huh?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Iggy in his own way, is one of the smartest people posting on these newsgroups.

He learns fast, knows when he doesnt know something and isnt afraid to ask questions..intelligent questions...nor does he claim to know everthing, unlike many posters do. Even questions that may make him look ignorant.

Ignorance can be cured, as he so aptly demonstrates

Stupid is for life...as others so aptly demonstrate so very often.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Thanks. I think that same about you actually, much to learn and all.

Reply to
Ignoramus16961