A Near-Death Experience

When I worked for Rank-Xerox, we refurbished a Copyflo machine (a large microfilm printer). It took several months of work and cost a lot of money. The delivery truck was backed in with the roller shutter part way down, the machine was loaded and tied down, and the truck went on its way. Unfortunately, no-one had thought to raise the shutter to clear the machine, and it ended up on the floor, completely wrecked.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 07:29:04 +0800, Old Nick calmly ranted:

So shall they indict the stupidvisors who took these folks there instead of the Fair owners, or in addition to them?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Worst I saw was at Cape Canaveral, the Apollo fuel cells ($1M ea) were wired to an external connector and the GSE had the opposite polarity - design error. Instantly blew 3 fuel cells.

Reply to
Nick Hull

"B.B." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@library.airnews.net:

I had a similar incident happen to me, albeit miniscule in comparison. I was trying to remove one of my upper kitchen cabinets. I had taken out all of the visible screws, but the cabinet wouldn't budge. I pulled on it, pushed on it, and banged on it, but it was stuck. I stepped back to think where the hidden screws might be, and WHAM! the thing fell right off the wall.

Reply to
Hitch

Does coming down a loading ramp in a forklift at a high rate of speed and riding a turn for a good 20 feet on two side wheels only count? Been there, done that... I was something like 8 or 10 or maybe 12 years old at best.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Only if the 'near death' part was when your dad found out (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

If he wasn't there watching it happen, then I wouldn't have even known I did it... He yanked me off the thing. His hair as been white ever since... See him in the black and yellow jacket here:

See how white that hair is? Also, my mom is smilinmg at the camera too in case anyone with a desire to know wanted to know... or something like that.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

No, but it puts you in the running for Darwin Awards!

Reply to
carl mciver

I have a serious question. I have a chain hoist and hoist various things like generators, UPSes etc. I want some serious introduction into safe rigging methods. I do make attempts at making rigging safe and so far avoided accidentw, but feel that my skills are sorely lacking. I already read DOE standard 1090, but there is not much on rigging methods.

Ignoramus25177

I have (but not here) a small handbook called "The Rigger's Handbook". Tons of good real-life information in there. We got it where I used to work, when we took a crane safety course. Maybe someone here knows the book.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Is it this one?

I am confused, is that a sales brochure or a rigger's handbook?

Ignoramus25177

No, but it has at least some information amongst the sales crap.

Looks like a little of both. Not the one I was thinking, but probably worth printing.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

images.google.com to the rescue. I put in "handbook riggers" (without quotes) and found it here:

(watch the wrap on the URL)

Probably other sources, but this is the first URL that google could find with a picture of it. Was a great book when I got it a dozen years ago, would surprise me if it's not still great.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On 29 Dec 2004 20:10:08 GMT, Ignoramus25177 calmly ranted:

Señor Thompson here has a CD which contains a rigging book. I bought a bunch of them and they're pretty cool. Ask him for the r.c.m. discount, too, Iggy.

----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended.

Inoffensive Web Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LOL , that only happens to me when I try for hours or days to take something apart and then get another person to try.

I had a friend in SA Tx. that would come over and I could ask her where my keys, glasses, or an object that isn't used much were hiding from me and she would know !

I've about bought it from everything under the sun. One time while on a road trip across the country at 3am the highway shifted between maybe 3-4 missing concrete berms. Someone must have taken out the signs cause the lane just ended with a pile of gravel. If it wasn't for the guitarist friend watching and pushing on the steering wheel it would have been over. Still, almost caught the blunt end of the concrete barrier at 80 mph.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

You are a very wise man. Most of us don't bother to learn about such things until after our first accident.

--RC (who would also like a guide to "Rigging For Idiots And English Majors") "Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells 'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets fly with a club. -- John W. Cambell Jr.

Reply to
rcook5

No, the F-16 is Air Force only. The F-18 IS carrier rated, and has a VERY sophisticated "grasshopper" landing gear system to handle a 40,000 Lb aircraft making such a hard landing repeatedly. Also, in production, the F16 in question may not have had landing gear installed at that stage of assembly.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I think the story is bogus or the term F-16 is misused. e.g. if a wing only chunk of airplane was being transported - e.g. only the wing - it isn't an F-16 and can't 'land' at any speed by itself.

Now if my crane thought head is on, there would be a cable down to a hook, the interface to a spreading Bar and then two points (or a spreading T four points) of attachment to the plane. If a bolt in one of the sub points - holding one end of the plane - and it did a nose drop or a tail drop - then an F-16 could be valid and just a rookie on crane technology and drop terminology.

IIRC, the F-16 was rated for large carrier emergency landings. Useful in special op returns when air refuel is not timely or possible or viable.

Martin

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I already had a few accidents, with other adventures.

Ignoramus25177

blank on the bottom of the page.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn