A Near-Death Experience

< pdf 148 pages

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Hunt around on the internet for Rigging, TM 5-725 the US Army manual on all such matters. It can be found via PDF format for free downloading.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

thanks, good stuff. Will look for that manual. I do need to construct a good concrete anchor, by the way.

state of moral and patriotic feeling

nothing for which he is willing to fight,

creature and has no chance of being

Reply to
Ignoramus25901

F-16's are moved by a pair of monorail cabs working in tandem. Both cabs are rated at 15,000+ # working load. The lift is done by a single bridle from each cab with a spacer bar to assure a vertical lift on each lead. The fuselage at that point has the gear installed but no wings or stabilators. It is lowered onto a special dolly for the rest of it's time in the factory. When it moves to the paint shop and on to the flight line, it's completely on it's gear. Going back to 1986, I only know of one complete airframe ever being dropped and that was one in the ground vibration test rig. It fell when there was an equipment failure in the test rig.

Craig C. snipped-for-privacy@ev1.net

Reply to
cvairwerks

F-16's are moved by a pair of monorail cabs working in tandem. Both cabs are rated at 15,000+ # working load. The lift is done by a single bridle from each cab with a spacer bar to assure a vertical lift on each lead. The fuselage at that point has the gear installed but no wings or stabilators. It is lowered onto a special dolly for the rest of it's time in the factory. When it moves to the paint shop and on to the flight line, it's completely on it's gear. Going back to 1986, I only know of one complete airframe ever being dropped and that was one in the ground vibration test rig. It fell when there was an equipment failure in the test rig.

Craig C. snipped-for-privacy@ev1.net

Reply to
cvairwerks

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 05:29:54 GMT, "Martin H. Eastburn" calmly ranted:

The last 20 or so of the 148 pages look like rigger's info, but the pictures of all the rigging toys makes it an interesting read.

The Rigging Manual that Robert sells on CD is an Army manual.

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A B-47 or B52 was dropped - by itself on the flight line in El Paso - Biggs AFB. A crewman forgot to put in a pin when it was turned over by the crew. The pin is in a hand lever in the main cabin. A chief was up and was about to be aboard while the plane was towed to a staging point. He wasn't seated - likely sightseeing when the learch forward - he caught his fall on the gear lever. The gear raised.... or the mainframe lowered...

The chief got to stay in SAC for a long time. He was valuable now - object lesson.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Find someone working a construction job as a millwright, a rigger, or as an ironworker, and they are sure to have access to "The Rigger's Handbook", that you could surely get for a beer or two.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Many thanks Kevin.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

- John Stewart Mill

Reply to
Gunner

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:23:28 -0500, axolotl calmly ranted:

I stumbled upon an Audel Millwright's and Mechanic's Guide at the library last week and had a chance to look at it last night. There's a lot of info stuffed into a 5x7x3" book of 952 pages!

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think I have a copy of the Rigger's Handbook at work. I'll check tomorrow, and note the publisher, etc.

I had the safety contact get some when we set up the new warehouse. The lead guy had a 2 ton electric chain fall put in to lift heads and agitators off our small vessels. It was obvious none of the techs (or engineers for that matter) knew any of the requirements about tagged and inspected lifting equipment, knowing loads, working limits on chokes, etc.

I think I've written here before about getting a rude education in the importance of proper rigging when the techs on another project dropped a 5-1/2 ton cell hatch cover about 3 ft. away from me. Got my attention.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III
Þx??SMoÚ@½ûWL/¡?ÂBIH é·*¢F??ª¹ô2xÇxË~8»cÿ¾³v¢ ^? Ø;3o?7¾õp×úcOà=LÆã)?gs¹NÎ`8>á;??ðCK©¸4WG?/|?5µ??Òm~(&SíUÜ?/`Óürd®?®HÎn¥²4{ûÒlr2Ï?4?æføl` ¹?¶ÆHu?$¨Í3t?ùY¢uv=??Fïów¹ö!¢kÓd:ô?þ}î&áý&Ã: ??Rpo¬Âªs?C?Uð_L?¬fn棲A§8¢ñ £Û+gì¨ ??°i¬)%#ø÷¥KZl ít(Ð5!?µñ ©?S©?2®J·?X=?¨_òÿ%?wOÇOá?¶äy?ÈR?Á5u§Xææ ´\¹>O`?z1?ÍNO?oÿîð~??r+KÚ&x»?¶?,?p;!^ó ??*E_SÊã·Öh??k:³fQVÐbbØmºÂ5 ä?Cï?î}n¢q~Ö)·?\?PñUè?Æ ÂôñÝãÉÑCÄùU??¼ÙtY?ôªßgêÇ°u&-?? je)$ýpQ>QêZ¡µ?-?"E¨?|?r?Gu"?ÌAØh?pé'?ÅO ?^§Vz,ZVÎ??E³K¥èÞG^w£?ð5;MiÐ?ë?àu?Ë 0'±X?,1½UÛIA~b?=r$Gò? /?OÅpøãsÑ t±??Úd¶{??°°i¨óB?JTX2üiE?=Y??h 9Y îVÅÑ=×?eÀm¶Óê??=ME%$v?ëlºmWª??Ïp?öp¯à3 ?øpUñ???æ
Reply to
rcook5

Try dropping a 250 pound welded steel, rectangular cover into a congested high voltage manhole. The delicate touch takes on a whole new meaning. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

My copy is the 1945 reprint of the 1940 edition - a fascinating 1167 page book! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Yikes! That'll give you religion.

Must've been like the time the rural distribution power line finally arced out after the pole burned for a while after a lightning strike. I was a teenager, and was in our barn when I heard something that sounded like the world's biggest arc welder. When I ran outside, the thing was throwing huge pink and green discharges (copper plasma?) all over the place. I took off the other way, scooted through the barbed wire fence and kept running until the line burned in two and fell on the ground.

I had heard horror stories from my great uncle about high tension lines arcing out and flying around, cutting down everything in their path. Supposedly happened down the road at Hoskins Mound, a sulfur mine active in the first half of the century. I wasn't sticking around to see if they were true.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

I'm not sure I got this right...Which was the "it" in your last sentence.....

Was it the machine which got damaged and did the loading guys just say "fuhgedit" and leave it for the customer to discover?

Or was the "roller shutter" part of the loading dock and that was what got wrecked when the truck backed in to pick up the load?

(America and Britain...two countries separated by a common language...)

Happy New Year,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I thought that mostly always made manhole covers round because that shape COULDN'T fall into the hole*, with the side benefit that you can easily roll them on the pavement when moving them.

Or maybe that wasn't THE manhole's cover you dropped in, but the cover to something that belonged down there.

Jeff

*An equalateral triangle shape wouldn't fall through either, but it'd look stupid and not be very efficient.
Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

This was a field produced item where a standard airfield drainage MH frame was put on the electrical MH and the heavy grating provided with a solid cover plate welded on. Unfortunately, the lifting method proved inadequate, and when the cover dropped it did so at an angle to the opening. Fortunately, no damage occurred. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I don't know what hospitals in the USA are like, but most of the ones I've been inside in the last couple of years look very close to being dirtier that some factory places I've seen. Lots of small maintenance jobs are also not being done. No wonder they are admitting that 1 in 10 people leave hospital in a worse situation than when they entered (NSW Australia)

Reply to
Terry Collins