A short story

Several reasons but one is a hangover, if you will, from the Russian campaign. The conscripts are young and in a country as poor as Afghanistan, are "lifers".

They end up with a strong national identity and see the drug trade as a threat rather than an opportunity. They also have the example of Pakistan right next door. The Pakistani army is nearly a entity in its own right whose primary purpose, or one of them, is to protect the national identity when necessary from internal political upheaval.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

LOL!!!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Well said!

Reply to
Don Foreman

The only way a scorpion will attack a human is if you step on it, or otherwise muck it around. Sort of like what a person might do to one closing in an anything warm and in your lap. I handled them when I was living in NM and didn't suffer from the experience. Not from a sting anyway.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

LOL Between you and Gunner the entire country will be surrounded!

Reply to
John R. Carroll

They'll crawl into boots, attracted by residual warmth, so if one takes off boots on bivouac where scorpions be it's a good idea to shake boots good before putting them back on.

Scorpions are predators, so their degree of aggressiveness will depend on ambient temperature and level of hunger. I recall one in a C-ration can, hot weather, hitting that sucker like a stacatto cymbal.

Reply to
Don Foreman

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:26:02 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman scrawled the following:

Wow, the little bastids are truly Al Qaeda material. These insect terrorists hunker down and have a bunker mentality when conditions warrant, then pop out and wreak havoc when they want, during more favorable conditions. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I live in snowy country, and they are all over the place, just more active in different times of the year.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

No kidding? First of heard that. In fact I've seen reports and videos indicating they are worthless dopeheads.

Reply to
RBnDFW

I battle those little bastards every year here in DFW. Our house is built on a sandstone rocky hill, which apparently is heaven for scorpions. When it gets hot and dry they start coming into the house. Fortunately, I have 3 cats that live to hunt, and scorpions are their

2nd favorite toys (May flies are #1). We would prefer that they kill them more quickly than they do.

But even better is finding them before they get in. I do that with a UV flashlight. Those little suckers light up like the sun when you hit them with a blacklight. Remeber those psychedelic blacklight posters from when you were a kid, and some had scorpions on them? Same thing, same color - yellow-green. It has to be seen to be appreciated. It's pretty amazing, and a bit fun now. One lap around the house before bed with a UV flashlight and a can of Raid.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Says the man and his 8' centipede and BS insurance stories. LOL Credible you are not.

Reply to
John R. Carroll