A short story

snipped-for-privacy@citlink.net wrote:

I don't think a lot civilians understand how deployed military personnel see their world. Especially not civilians of the arm chair warrior variety. I don't know a single serving individual that would put together the garbage in Steve B's post that was attributed. "Saucy" Marine ought to have been placed under arrest and stood a court. That's sort of what ticks me off, that someone might actually believe this junk. It's the ravings of an insane person and I take offense to things that portray any group as insane or otherwise defective, mentally or otherwise. It's particularly offensive when done in the "Spirit" of "Patriotism". Feh
I've always believed the world would be a better place if every American did a tour in the armed forces that included a period of deployment on foriegn soil, not country club service. I still believe this is true.
I single out American's because no other country on the planet can deploy nearly as large or potent a force as America can without considering the immediate consequences all around. OUr President can just pull the trigger and figure it all out later. We are truly unique and so have a genuine responsibility - to ourselves - to act in a reasoned and considered manner. We also have the luxury of pausing to think before we act and we ought to start excercising that luxury. Experience in uniform would insure that our actions were guided by a little wisdom. I can't imagine Dwight Eisenhower or Harry Truman ordering the attack on Iraq in 2003. I also can't imagine either of those two letting up at Torah Bora.
--
John R. Carroll

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 19:30:28 -0800, "John R. Carroll"

Well said!
Buerste wrote:

"Only talk when it improves the silence" - Edmund Muskie
I commend that thought to you Tom.
--
John R. Carroll

Care to share a synopsis? I'd really like to know how it is going. 4th LAR, what is that, it didn't strike bell in my head?
Wes

I second that.
Ignoramus11847 wrote:

H&S Co. is doing interdiction missions, they are hard against the Pakistan border, from Khan Neshin and they will be rotating back to the States shortly. It's hot - 120 F - during the day and there is a lot of dust. LOL They have two seasons, hot blowing dust followed by rain and mud. That varies depending on where, exactly, you are. The mountains are another matter and don't count. It's no man's land.
The regular Afghan Army is an excellent, well equipped and disciplined fighting force. As good as there is.
The general population are just like people everywhere. They are poor but care about the same things anyone does. Food on the table and the well being of their children and so forth. They are friendly, approachable and generous. Like all people anywhere caught in a gang war, they normally keep their heads down and go about their daily business as best they can. They would like for things be calm and absent that they try and stay out of the way, unnoticed.
The district/regional/national police, the politician's, and many of the local militia's are as corrupt as can be, gangsters really. Afghanistan is little more than an organized criminal enterprise. Nothing has changed in this regard since the last super power visited Afghanistan. This guy Karzai is just our "Don" and there is little reason to think that change is in the air.
Beyond that there isn't much I could, or would, have to say. Well, maybe just one thing. I'll be glad to see our guys home, and that's what they are. Our guys, not mine.
--
John R. Carroll

Thanks
Isn't Agfhan national army essentially a locally recruited force? Why isn't it corrupt like everyone else?
Ignoramus11847 wrote:

Several reasons but one is a hangover, if you will, from the Russian campaign. The conscripts are young and in a country as poor as Afghanistan, are "lifers".
They end up with a strong national identity and see the drug trade as a threat rather than an opportunity. They also have the example of Pakistan right next door. The Pakistani army is nearly a entity in its own right whose primary purpose, or one of them, is to protect the national identity when necessary from internal political upheaval.
--
John R. Carroll

John R. Carroll wrote:

No kidding? First of heard that. In fact I've seen reports and videos indicating they are worthless dopeheads.
Gunner Asch wrote:

Says the man and his 8' centipede and BS insurance stories. LOL Credible you are not.
--
John R. Carroll

Wes wrote:

http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/4thMarDiv/4thLAR /
They haven't updated the page yet. SgtMaj Cottle and his driver, Lance Cpl. Rick Centanni, were KIA a month plus ago. They were both fine men, good Marines and a credit to both their country and the uniform.
The IED's in Iraq were generally 20 pounders, #40 tops. They are about #100 in Afghanistan.
--
John R. Carroll