A useful little project

I discovered that I needed a small plastic-faced hammer. I know they have such things (junk) at HF, and presumably good ones at Brownell's ... but it seemed like it might be fun to make one. So I did.

I think there's something personal about a good hammer that seems to fit one's hand well and works well for its intended purposes.

Reply to
Don Foreman

BTW, did you anodize it yourself?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Yes. 90 minutes in NAPA battery acid diluted 1:4 with distilled water. Current was about 30 mA/in^2. Then I used Caswell's green dye.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Quality looking hammer Don!

I made one too, no where near as nice as yours - it gets quite a bit of use.

Reply to
Den

That's an improvement over this one:

:-)

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Don, I missed your presence here. Good to see you back. How's the fishin' been?

Could you give a short "how to" on anodizing? What do i need to black anodize a couple of parts?

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

The result is very nice looking.

Reply to
Ignoramus13075

Second that, Don! RCM is not the same without you.

Don, I missed your presence here. Good to see you back. How's the fishin' been?

Could you give a short "how to" on anodizing? What do i need to black anodize a couple of parts?

karl

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Robert Swinney

Nice job!

For assembly/disassembly of a Ruger MKIII, eh? I have the bull-barrel version of that and, yep, it shoots a lot more accurately than I do.

Damn thing puts the bullet exactly where I'm aiming at the moment it fires. Problem is: I'm not always aiming where I think I am. Close, within an inch or so, but the damn gun won't correct for my error.

Reply to
John Husvar

========== Click on

feel free to browse the entire site

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

COFFEYVILLE!

My dad was born there. I was born/raised in Baldwin just south of Lawrence. Small world.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Places that sell jewelers tools like conenti have plastic hamers and nylon mallets of various sizes , some with changeale faces for people who arnt as skilled as you.

Reply to
aws

Hey Leon - dumb question from the other side of the world.......just interested - what do you do with the squirrels meat/pet food/pelts???? The tiny squirells we have here (Australia) are introduced and very few and very far between. Cheers.

Reply to
Den

I'll let Leon speak for himself, but this squirrel hunter likes the young ones fried, and the older ones either braised or in stew (the original American recipe for Brunswick stew is made with squirrel). After dressing and skinning them, you cut them into quarters. No, they don't taste like chicken. The older, braised ones taste a lot like turkey dark meat. The younger ones taste more like rabbit.

As for the rest of them, I used to save the tails for use in fly tying. The squirrel-tail streamer is a common wet fly that we use in eastern trout streams. I collected so many tails that I have a lifetime supply, and I don't keep them anymore.

BTW, like Leon, I lived in Michigan and hunted squirrels with a handgun (a Ruger Single-Six revolver) when I lived there, 35 years ago. We can't use handguns where I live now and it's a lot less interesting.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

You might think twice before eating the brains. ;-) There's been speculation that there may be a risk of CJD (mad cow disease) associated with the consumption of fried squirrel brains.

One of the doctors who suggested the link is the target of a backwoods fatwah in Kentucky because his hypothesis was perceived as an attack on hillbilly culture.

Ned Simmons

I never would have even thought of it once. d8-)

'Possum with applesauce, OK (if I can keep the windows open while I cook it). Sucker fishcakes made in the blender, all right (cut off the heads first for me, please). But no squirrel brains.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Oh, I'm impressed! I owned that gun once and was never good enough with it to hunt squirrels. Or did you miss a lot, but had enough shots that eventually you got a few?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Used to eat them. My Dad liked them a whole lot more than I did. Nothing wrong with the meat, I'm just not big on eating meat. I would classify the meat as dark meat, similar to a chicken/turkey leg or ham. I wouldn't dispute Ed's comments concerning the meat.

Most of what I got were Fox and sometimes a few Grays depending on where I was hunting. The Fox squirrel is slightly larger.

Fox squirrel:

Gray/Black squirrel:

Hunting with a pistol takes a lot of patience and passing up marginal shots/opportunities. If I really wanted to bag some I took one of my scoped rifles along :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

The mkii was an incredible bargain, I used to poke fun at my teammates who had $2000 S&Ws. They had expensive guns, expensive ammo, yadi yada

I told them they used up all of their excuses for winging one outside the black.

I could always blame my $300 gun or Wal-Mart $11/550 ammo. =)

Reply to
Jon