About hobbiest metalworkers

To All, Lots of posters here, most in fact, do metalwork as a hobby. They will have different ideas on how to make things. Sometimes they want to do something impossible and sometimes they just want to do something the hard way. Oftentimes they discover what's impossible by trying. These folks will ask for advice but may or may not follow the advice given. So it's easy for someone like me, who makes a living metalworking, to scoff at these hobby types and the odd way they might have of producing a desired object. I mean, I know how to make lots of stuff quickly and to a high degree of precision. But I don't scoff at or make fun of the hobby folks. I instead have tons of respect for these people. And there examples of work done by some old coot who can barely see, smokes like a chimney so that even with good eyesight the workshop is too hazy to see anyway, drinks too much and has palsey, that makes me a little envious. These people persevere and turn out remarkable work. Both precise and beautiful. Obvious good imagination in both setups and design. These people have diverse backgrounds that run the gamut of education, career, income, and class. I read their posts, look at their pictures, and I learn from and admire them. So this post is my way of saying thanks and keep up the good work. Cheers, Eric R Snow

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Hey Eric,

"Bout time!! And an AMEN from me.

And from the other side of things, THANK YOU to all the pro's here who continually write assistance for the rest of us! I for one truly appreciate it.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Eric,

You left out "Grumpy", (Like me!).

Graham,

Brisbane, Australia.

Reply to
Graham Horne

Reply to
Robert Swinney

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:25:31 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Eric R Snow quickly quoth:

People who do it for a hobby are known as hobbyists, Eric.

Megadittoes on those sentiments, sir. Thanks, Metalheads!

And regarding another line of this thread, I had a bad day.

I tell you, it was a REALLY bad day!

The driver got out of the other car, and he was a dwarf.

He looked up at me and said "I am NOT happy!"

So I said, "Well, which one are you then?"

(ba da bing)

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Don't forget "Crotchety"...

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I remember shortly after I first found RCM posting to Tnut "that I spent half my life with questions and no one to ask" . I am still amazed at how much things have changed for me simply because some one is willing to post responses . I am most grateful to Pros and Hobbiests alike for all the help . In fact many questions I have not had to even ask as someone else already did and others responded . So I just learn by osmosis ;-) . So I would like to add my thanks to everyone . Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

I too want to echo the sentiment of thanks to the experienced folks who haved chimed in to help with my bonehead problems. I've learned a tremendous amount here - some of it actually OT!

Peter

Reply to
pgrey

I, too, appreciate all of the continued and past help.

Amen! Preach it, Brother! :)

Reply to
John Husvar