Turning 4140 Pre Hardened

I dont know what happened to the rest of this thread but I wanted to thank everyone who got me going in turning pre hardened 4140 steel. I got the lath back together and using the advice from this forum I am able to turn the 4140 pre hardened steel. I can even do it out of back gear with both HSS and Carbide. I still occasionally get chatter problems and that certainly causes a rough finish. Keeping the workpice as short as possible in the chuck seems to reduce it a bunch. The pice I'm working on is under 3" in length and because I have to put a taper on it I cant get it between centers.

Thank You John Roncallo

Reply to
Anonymous

just doing my job!