Absolutely Amazing!

Yesterday, my BIL used his front end loader to crack a four inch irrigation supply line under pressure.

It was quite a show.

Once we got it shut down, we went to removing the damaged section.

A common local practice is to drive 3/4" square concrete stakes next to the pipe slightly on the diagonal to keep the pressure kicks from heaving up the pipe.

We were trying to remove one of the 24" stakes with the bucket of a front end loader. First we tried a soft nylon sling, but it kept slipping off, even with a clove hitch basket rigging.

Then we did a 5/16" chain with a stopper hitch, and that held.

Then comes the interesting part. It took about twelve attempts to pull that stake. Most resulting with the back wheels of the loader coming off the ground. Only with constant pounding on the stake in all directions, including DOWN, did it finally slowly pull out. This soil is sandy, but they say once these stakes rust in, they are like pulling on a concrete plug.

I have had extensive experience with heavy rigging, and this was one of the darndest things I have ever seen. A hydraulic front end loader having trouble pulling out a concrete stake from sandy soil.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Ionic bonding can be amazing!

Try a cement vibration machine or a jack hammer like that runs and just vibrates the soil. Liquefaction really helps!

Martin

Mart> Yesterday, my BIL used his front end loader to crack a four inch irrigation

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:20:28 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "SteveB" quickly quoth:

Um, oops!

Concrete stake "rusting" into sandy soil? That's a new one. ;)]

I've been amazed at how tight stakes go into the ground after setting up concrete forms.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I always used a railroad jack to pull up stakes/posts that were stuck tight in the ground.

John

Reply to
john