Adding Spreader Plate to I Beam for Press

I neglected to add that I was going to use a 1/2" thick hot rolled plate welded to the bottom on the I Beam where the jack will attach. It will be 4.0" wide x 8.0" long. I am trying to find the formula to calculate how much stress the plate will take and what the deflection will be. Can I add the two moment of inertias together for the beam and the plate and take an average to get a new moment or is there a formula for finding what effect the plate will have at spreading the load on the beam? I know this will change the section modulus for the beam also. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve