Adhesives for metal joining ?

While we all know that ' real men' dont use glue, I'd like to know of any adhesives that will bond metal to metal with better strength than full strength epoxy resin( Araldite ) or Superglue. I'm sure I've seen such adhesives advertised in recent years but never been sure just how good they are, and because of their high cost I dont want to try it without asking adice first. I need to join two small pieces of a broken antique drawer handle. Soldering it would discolor it and I'm trying to keep it looking original. It's brass and the suface area of the join is about 4mm ( 3/16" ) square. The drawer is quite small and wouldn't need to take more than about half a kilogram ( 1 pound ) tensile force.

Thanks for any advice, Dean.

" I am a Governator. I have been sent to Governate you. "

Reply to
Dean

An interesting site for this sort of thing:

Charles

"Charles" >

Hey thanks. Interesting site and already has given me some ideas.

Dean.

Reply to
Dean

You should check the Araldite site. They make a number of products for bonding metals, and are a big supplier to the aviation industry for that purpose.

Glenn

the "new Transformer toys" from Conan the Barbarian to Conan the Librarian

Glenn Cramond

There's a lot more Epoxies out there than just the shop bought Araldite one, some are much more suited to gluing metals. Also consider Methacrylate adhesives, IIRC they have a greater temperature resistance.

Reply to
Simon
3M Structural Adhesive (shown here):
I bought mine at NAPA, but this was the first website I saw showing the product. David
Reply to
David Courtney
3M Co. makes a double-sided tape called "VHB" (very high bond strength, or something like that). One use for it is to replace welded or riveted connections in OTR trailers (16-wheelers). It won't let go, and there is no cure time involved, although I think you need to let it sit for awhile to develop full strength of the bond.

Joe

Dean wrote:

Reply to
Joe

I think JB Weld is rated at about 2900 lb/in^2 tensile strength.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Reply to
FuhhKyu