Advice for Newby on Misters

Hi,

I'm still building my first shop and am putting up air lines (1/2" copper pipe) to drive lubrication misters for my lathe, mills, etc. I want to share one or two misters between all of my machines. Does anyone have recommendations for a reputable brand? Do all of them require that you use their "misting lubricant", or will other less expensive lubrications work (say oil)? Do you have a good link for how to set them up, good ideas, etc.?

Please respond and thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave Pidwerbecki

Dave..one mister per machine. Any other way and the oil will seperate out before it gets to the machines.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

I use Automatic Transmission Fluid in my eclectic collection of misters. For me, a big advantage is that sawdust doesn't stick to it as much and doesn't form a concrete like material like oil does and rubber seals seem to like the ATF better. I have no recommendation, most are Dayton brand.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

--Unless you're going into serious production you can make do with a couple of $1.- pump spray bottles and a jug of soluble oil. This'll last you for a decade or two. One spray mister with a magnetic base can be moved from mill to lathe to drill press as needed for the really long, boring jobs.

Reply to
steamer

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I have a few questions:

Gunner: I don't understand why I can't share a mister between machines? I thought that if I use some sort of oil, that I could just take the unit from one machine to another.

Ed: I just purchased this old surface grinder that does not have a coolent system (a smaller 6x12 grinder). What do people use for surface grinders that don't have a coolent system? The previous owner used a mister system.

I look forward to your reply and thanks.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Pidwerbecki

Are you talking about bearing misters or coolant misters? Many machines have air/oil mist pressurized into the spindle and/or collet closer bearings. Carrying one from machine to machine would be fine. Using a central one would mean the oil would likely settle out of the air before getting to the bearings, and when the lines finally got enough oil, would puke a slug of oil into the bearings. Not a good thing.

If its coolant misters..no problem.

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Dave Pidwerbecki wrote: : Ed: I just purchased this old surface grinder that does not have a coolent : system (a smaller 6x12 grinder). What do people use for surface grinders : that don't have a coolent system? The previous owner used a mister system. --Sorry, can't help you on a surface grinder as I ain't got one. As for lathes and mills, tho, I used to like the Amflo unit, but it's recently been redesigned and it now has one less control. The older ones would let you vary air and fluid seperately, but the newer ones have dispensed with the fluid volume control, which is a bad thing IMO, as you wind up using more than you need most of the time...

Reply to
steamer

I love Noga misters. About $70 each and worth it. Les

Reply to
PIW

Not ed but me!

People who use grinders without coolant use dust extractors to suck up the swarf as it is ejected by the wheel. There is a tendency for swarf to stick to the magnetic chuck if one is being used, but this is not a major problem. I cannot see a mister being particularly useful or effective on a grinder.

Some grinders are set up for both.

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand