What kind of grease for a vice or vice-grips?

What kind of grease do you use for your vice (the most common vice you own) or for your vice-grips locking pliers?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Netpick:

Vice. An item or behavior which is often considered sinful.

Vise: Device, often made of wood or mrtal, used for clamping objects while they are machined or worked on.

Being a church going man, I do try to avoid vice. However, if I was married, I'd probably use Vaseline, baby oil, or KY jelly for my vice.

. Christ> What kind of grease do you use for your vice (the most common vice

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

None. Dirt catcher for w-working vise; never been a visible need on the metal one. It gets enough oil from threading die/tap splash, etc., etc., to never get that dry.

Vise-grips would simply be a mess...a little spray silicone lube at most, _maybe_, but never have needed that either (and have pairs that are 50+ yr old used repetitively, frequently).

Reply to
dpb

I use K-Y jelly

Reply to
Ignoramus20545

I use a nearly saturated solution of paraffin wax in mineral spirits. It dries into a thin film of wax which is not a dust catcher. Also use this on my table saw top and lathe ways.

Reply to
G. Ross

I can't remember what I used on my little machinists vise. Probably WD-40, and now you can flame me to death.

I've tried HF brand of locking pliers. But when I need to clamp onto and rotate some thing (like a machine screw) the Vise Grip brand works so much better.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You visit the oldest profession for your vice?

. Christ> >> What kind of grease do you use for your vice (the most common vice >

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Now, that sounds excellent.

I've heard of using a candle to help free stuck nuts and bolts. Heat it up a bit. light the candle and drip wax on the threads as it cools. When it hits magic temp, the wax wicks in and lubes the threads. I've not yet tried this.

. Christ> I use a nearly saturated solution of paraffin wax in mineral spirits.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil and/or:

A few drops of 5w30, ATF or whatever is handy, as-needed, on the screw.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

ROFL. There's sumptin' wrong wit' dat boy.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I have a few, and they work pretty good. About 20 years ago Crescent had some locking pliers for sale that weren't to bad either. The local tool store had them on closeout because they weren't selling so I bought a couple. I have not tried any Vise Grips made after the big move to China. I am wondering how their quality control is going with that. I have noticed their recent advertising campaigns trying to associate hard working Americans with their brand to combat the stigma of moving their production to China.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Moly grease if any required on the vice, nothing on the vice-grips

Reply to
clare

For woodworking vice, boe-lube

Reply to
clare

Me?

I use KY jelly for my vice and my 'vice grips'.

I use moly-grease on my vise and vise-grips.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That would be a carpenter, correct? ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

The Mole Wrench the Brits make/use is the worst excuse for a locking pliers I've ever attempted to use - bar none.

Reply to
clare

What kind of grease do you use for your vice (the most common vice you own) or for your vice-grips locking pliers?

Thanks.

What I use on my VISE is molybdenum disulfide. You can get it at a bicycle store. They call it (dry slide) I use this on any metal items that have friction. People that regrind engine cam shafts soak the cams in this solution then let dry. The Moly coating has a 100,000 pounds per square inch toughness. This leaves a dry coating of moly on the service. I have also used it on plastic (nylon?) bearings and they never wear out. Search on your computer for molybdenum disulfide and see all about it. WW

Reply to
WW

Probably farmer, actually. Adam and Eve had to till the ground. Though, carpenter is on the short list, too. And a carpenter could have vice, or a vise.

. Christ>> You visit the oldest profession for your vice?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have no vices, common or exotic.

My vises run on elbow grease.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I got some spray cans of cooking oil from Walmart for weld spatter control, and find myself also using them to keep things from rusting or putting on rusty bolts that do not turn easily. I use Mobil One or ATF when I think it needs real lubrication.

My wife likes to go to tag sales and I pick up spray cans of teflon lubricant and such when I see them at reasonable prices.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster