What kind of grease for a vice or vice-grips?

With all the "begetting" in the bible I think Adam plowed more than just the dirt.......

Reply to
Steve W.

You've heard about the young couple that didn't know the difference between window putty and KY Jelly? All their windows fell out!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yeah, it's a no-brainer when I think about it. No pressure on the threads when turning.

Reply to
John Doe

Um, you use KY to eliminate grip in your vice.

Sounds like a dust collector.

Reply to
krw

n) or for your vice-grips locking pliers? Thanks.

You a Brit or something? They like that spelling.

Haven't needed anything for a vise, they're usually made with cast iron aga inst steel or steel against bronze, nothing for lube really needed(or wante d). Got a regular screw vise that opens up easily, I'll show you a vise th at's worthless for workholding. Friction is really needed on the screw thre ads. Now, if you need something to resist rust on the vise jaws and body, t hat's a whole other animal. LPS 2 or 3 will do that if you're like my b-in

-l and live in a swamp. Boeshield for honorable mention.

Locking pliers, I've had some that the plating wore off the screw and the s crew seized, have had others that got salt spray on them in the winter and rusted solid. The solution in both cases was LPS 1. Penetrates rust, drie s to a film that lubricates. Can't get that, get some Seafoam Deep Creep. Otherwise, locking pliers are usually used dry around my place.

Stan

Reply to
stansfixes

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You let dirt fall on your tools, and don't clean it off right away?

I've got some 45-year-old pairs of VISE-grip pliars that are as good as the day they were made, sans a few scars on the teeth. I bought 'em new; took care of them, and didn't use them as grinding holders or welding accessories, except for the two Vise-Grip welders' clamps I use regularly for that purpose. By needs, they won't last as long as the pliars have.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Clean the dust out of grease? No, I don't clean the "grease" out of my vise every day.

I don't grease my vise-grips, either.

Reply to
krw

Snerk! When MY vices require grease, I prefer K-Y Jelly

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Unquestionably Confused fired this volley in news:524383f2$0$3014$ snipped-for-privacy@ngroups.net:

I posted that two days ago, and they didn't 'get' it. Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Did any of them fall on you, Tom? :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There is a young couple named Kelly Who walk around belly to belly 'Cause in their great haste They used library paste Instead of petroleum Jelly

Reply to
rangerssuck