Air Compressor Troubles

Just thought I'd try for help here about my compressor troubles. TIA

I have one of those smaller CH 2 horse 15gal oiless direct drive compressors that I use for portable projects. It starts OK and runs a cycle or two with no problems. I noticed the problem when I was charging the air system on my bus so I could get it out of winter storage without smoking the whole building up.

It got the air system up to about 60 psi. then the compressor kicked out. It was hot and would not restart. The air system on the bus has about 40 gals capacity, so is not all that much extra work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, tHAT

Reply to
thehatter

I think I would check and clean the "check valve" in the line from the

compressor head down into the tank..... it keeps the tank pressure off the heads while running. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Think about that one for a moment ...

Rick

Reply to
Rick

That doesn't make sense. An inline check valve keeps air that has been pumped into the tank from leaking back out through the pump (or its associated plumbing) when it stops. If the check valve is an unloading type, it also vents pressure remaining in the pump when the pump stops, so that next time the pump starts up the motor is not starting under the load of the full tank pressure applied to its piston.

I'm wondering mostly if this compressor has a thermal shutoff, to prevent overheating damage, or if it's simply getting so hot it's seizing up. The light duty direct-drive compressors do not have a 100% duty cycle. They should be able to pump up their own tank (in this case

15 gallons), but expecting it to continuously fill 55 gallons instead is not necessarily reasonable. The difference between 15 and 55 gallons is more than a factor of 3, not just "a little bit more". How hot your weather is plays into it also. My little CH inflator type (tankless) can run 100% in the winter months outside, but only 15 minutes or so in the summer before it's smoking and crying uncle.

-Adam

Reply to
Cylon

Actually, it would be a reed valve in the head, not the check valve in the tank that would keep tank pressure off the heads while running.... I guess I kinda mis-stated it, but if the piston goes down and the tank pressure follows it, it will gain nothing. Tank pressure has to be "held in check" so the piston can draw in atmospheric pressure air, and compress it into the tank. Think about it.... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Maybe try using a heavier extension cord and making sure you use the pressure switch to turn it off and on with--often with the smaller compressors the switch serves double duty as an unloader, to prevent restarting under load.

Another thing--I had problems in the past with the cooling fan breaking on the craftsman compressors you might wanna have a look at it..........

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT