Air hose information sought

I need to buy some 25-foot air hoses. The black rubber one that came with the $100 Chinese compressor from Costco is already looking ratty, with cracks in the jacket. I assume lack of oil resistance is the problem, as the cracks are exactly where I most handle the hose with dirty hands. Or it may be fatigue. Or both.

So, I'll be buying a new hose or two real soon now, and would like some advice on what to seek and what to avoid, by type and by make and model.

The hose is used indoors, in a HSM shop. Lots of chips and oil, and other metal-cutting fluids (like Rustlick WS5050). Will be walked on from time to time. Hose must lay down where put, not coil up and fight my every move, not become a trip&fall hazard.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 17:48:15 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Joseph Gwinn quickly quoth:

Avoid HF hoses with the PVC jackets. They're the toughest fighters I've ever had the displeasure of working with...except when hot. Then they're a joy.

The last time we had this discussion here, Goodyear's PlioVic hoses seemed to be the winner.

At Amazon.

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

When you look at new ones, rub your hands on the hose then smell your hands. I bought some black ones by Goodyear that from new, made my hands stink and turn black just from handling the hose. The stink would not even easily wash off. I'll never buy another black Goodyear hose again. For work, I have bought several blue colored Goodyear hoses that have been fine

Reply to
Gerry

I got some red rubber ones from NAPA that seem to be holding up well to that type of use . Got one 1/4" and one 3/8" , both are still limber after over a year of use . Mine spend a lot of time coiled and hanging outside , and seem to handle weather well too . Got a clear blue one at the cabinet shop , one with the visible woven reinforcing . Piece of crap , wants to coil any way but where I want it . Won't lay flat on the floor and I'm always tripping on it .

Reply to
Snag

EPDM hose

Definitely buy epdm hose, some seller on amazon has it. I can look if you cannot find it. They also sell it on eBay.

I love my EPDM hose, period.

Ignoramus15946

I don't know exactly who makes them, but I use a blue one every day in the shop (good quality, probably goodyear?) and a cheap orange one from Home Depot coiled on my portable compressor. Every so often the one on the portable compressor walks off, so I like to use a cheap one there. I don't use it all the time, anyways, so I don't really care. The blue one has extra reinforcement for about 6-8" below the fitting, which I really like. It also gives it some rigidity to avoid kinking when sticking out of a fitting on the wall.

Reply to
woodworker88

The red or blue Goodyears..I get good service from them.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

EPDM is a very nice rubber, but does not handle oil very well, so I'm afraid it would not hold up to my oily hands.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe gwinn

Rubber, PVC, or what? It should say on the hose. We have had one strong vote for Goodyear pliovic (sp?), which is PVC if I recall.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe gwinn

Gates and Dayco both make good rubber air hoses. Any independent auto parts store can order one or the other if they don't stock them.

Reply to
Rex

Joseph Gwinn wrote in news:joegwinn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.dca.giganews.com:

In our manufacturing plant, we use Thermoid (Canadian company from what it says on the hose). Stands up to all kinds of coolants/oils, and doesn't kink or have a heavy coil memory.

Anthony

I have some 1/4" Aeroquip push on hose that I used to make air hoses with. All my hoses are over twenty years old and still in great shape. The hoses were used on a daily basis for 5 years in a engine repair, constantly covered in engine oil. Often tossed in the solvent tank and left to soak the oil and grease off. I don't remember which Aeroquip hose specifically, but it was rated for oil lines at maybe 300 degrees. It WAS NOT air hose. The hose is a bit stiffer than the typical air hose you find, but not bad at all.

Reply to
Greg O

I would give EPDM hose at least a try. Regarding oily hands, I am skeptical that HSM environment can ruin a EPDM hose.

Ignoramus3971

Well, it may not be obvious at first that the oil is affecting the rubber, and EPDM is famous for being very tough and ozone-resistant, but vulnerable to oil of all kinds. The hose that's failing is about

17 months old, and is cracking only where I handled it. I bet it would not be a problem at a house construction site.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe gwinn

I use Goodyear *black* oil-resistant hose. It doesn't smear black goop on my hands, and it lasts for years.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Boston Perfection 300. I bought a 600 foot spool in 1985. About 300 feet has been laying outside on the ground since 2000 between the old shop and the new. I keep thinking when it fails, I will bury some pipe.

--Andy Asberry--

------Texas-----

Reply to
Andy Asberry

I bookmarked this from the last time someone asked.

marc.britten

This is the one I bought last time. I totally love it. Looks like over the last 11 months, I was the only purchaser!

Ignoramus705

Someone else recommended Thermoid, a Canadian company, but it turns out to have lots of US presence, and to make everything. I found Thermoid's website, which is quite extensive and informative. Which leads me to a point of confusion: Thermoid sells EPDM hoses for use in automotive repair shops and service stations, which certainly do not lack for oil and grease. And yet their own listing of chemical resistance of hose materials lists EPDM as quite vulnerable to oil (which certainly was my recollection). So, I don't know what to think.

The pricelist and chem resistance chart are available here: .

The automotive hoses are listed at .

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

By gorry, that's a new one on me. I've been romantically inclined toward some young things that might have been referred to as "dogs", but an air hose?

=:-)

Bruce-in-Bangkok (Note:displayed e-mail address is a spam trap)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok