Alcohol as cutting fluid?

I wonder if that store takes phone orders and is willing to ship to Indiana...
Is it an independent retailer, or part of a chain?

They used to be a True Value Hardware. I'm not sure if they are part of a chain now. I don't buy much from them as their prices aren't low. The gallon of Carb-Sol weighs 13+ lbs. It's hazard class 6.1 as per DOT. This might be you best bet. The where to buy page from Sunnyside http://www.sunnysidecorp.com/where_to_buy_r.html ......Paul
On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 13:51:52 -0700, "catguy"

===============Thanks for posting.
catguy wrote:

If you really like the stuff, you might want to go back & grab some more. From the Sunnyside site:
"Where can I buy Carbo-Sol? Carbo-Sol was discontinued in January, 2006 because of changes in air pollution regulations in California and other states. ..."
Bob

Martin
--

I stand corrected. I was taken in by the hundreds of google hits on it......Paul
    [ ... ]

    KPR developer is another.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:12:19 -0500, F. George McDuffee

=============Just received an email from someone what been there and done that, a regular reader that can no longer post. Thanks for the straight skinny.
--------- email follows ---------- George,
I am unable to post to RCM due to a problem with my ISP. I can read, just not post.
You have it wrong. Trichloroethylene is not the solvent used for machining. What you're thinking of is 1,1,1, trichloroethane-----which was the active ingredient in Tap Magic and other tapping solutions at one time. They were NOT recommended for aluminum, nor should they be used on aluminum. It requires a different formulation to avoid corrosion.
I am very familiar with the use of the chloroethane I mentioned. It used to be used in the sumps of our turret lathes along with cutting oil when I worked at Sperry.
Thought you might like to know.
Harold <Vordos>
anorton wrote:

Dont know how alcohol goes but I've always used kerosine for maching and threading using hand tools.
--
Kevin (Bluey)

Wikipedia does mention rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) as an aluminum cutting fluid.
I don't endorse using wiki as a be-all and end-all source, but it is useful for turning up tidbits to be fleshed out via more reliable sources.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_fluid#Other_fluids_used_.28present_and_past.29
Dave
anorton wrote:

One shop I worked in used denatured in a spray bottle for 1/4" and smaller endmills cutting pockets with carbide. For cooling though, not cutting. Spray misters created too much local weather. :) Another benefit is chip clearing - no sticky coolant holding the chips. my 2 cents

Thanks for all the responses.
I was mainly interested in the alleged claim that alcohol as a cutting fluid will leave an aluminum surface resistant to corrosion. I am an optical engineer and am always looking for manufacturing techniques that may be useful for ultra-precise optical mounts and assemblies. There are times when anodize is not an ideal surface finish for such things.
In any case it seems like if there is any truth to this rumor, it is not common process. I may have to try the experiment myself.
-Adam Norton