Alternatives to aluminum tube

The description in an earlier thread (see beginning of any hit at

) refers to "a propeller on a stick. You mount the propeller on a motor on the stick (light aluminum tube), you counterweight and pivot the stick so the thrust of the propeller will move it easily, ..." [for use in control systems seminar workshops] so I suppose TW probably will use a few ounces of DC PM motor with fairly low current draw.

I think 6063 .75x.75x.06" tubing, at under $1/foot, is probably a dollar less per beam than arrow shafting, plus being easier to attach to the axle. In TW's plan, the beam is fixed to the axle, which rotates in bearings and turns the sensor pot that provides feedback to the PID controller. One way to save on bearings would be to glue the pot to the side of a .5" (.840" OD) PVC pipe in line with a drilled-through pivot hole, and use a fixed axle. Schedule 40 .5" PVC at .17#/ft is slightly lighter than the aluminum tubing, and .75" PVC at 0.226#/ft is slightly heavier. Both have about 0.11" wall thickness in Schedule 40 so are fairly stiff.

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

Are you supporting the weight of the motor, or enclosing electric wire or.... what's your use?

I've seen half inch tubing called EMT which electricians use for running wires. Comes in ten foot lengths, at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon