Collet info and source for us folks with old stuff

I wish there was a book entitled "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Collets". Machinery's Handbook is good, as far as it goes, but it doesn't go all that far. You can glean a fair amount of info from the tool catalogs, but they don't cover "everything" either.

I recently did a little research when an HSM'er got a US Machine Tool vertical milling machine and I wanted to show him the collets that fit the adapter he had. These machines had #9 B&S spindles. The company sold collet adapters of the "Universal" type, (series OW, Y, Z and ZZ) which don't show up in any catalog I had ever seen.

While poking around, I found this site, FYI:

Sure was helpful to me.

Pete Stanaitis

------------------------

Reply to
spaco

I have an old print catalog from Hardinge titled "Total Workholding" that's about as close as I've seen. I don't see it here, but it appears the data in it is available in small chunks:

Ned Simmons

Try this one....

Reply to
Gunner

I've got one of those - it came with my little Index mill. Fortunately BS9 collets are still pretty common.

I found this page on the web.

I know when I got the collet adapter the seller pulled out a catalog with a page like this to measure the collets with it to find out which one it was and he said it was the only reason he actually had that catalog.

I think mine is a Z - its written on the nail box I brought the collets and collet adapter home in. I haven't actually had time to set the mill up yet.

rem

Reply to
Rob Morden