aluminium sheet in a ceramics kiln

I want to try to fire ceramic transfers onto sheet metal, aluminium in particular. These normally fire to 600-800 degrees centigrade onto glass and ceramic. Do you think it would work and what would be the top temperature I could try?

Reply to
Diane

"Diane" wrote in message news:bfa7e$54f4a95a$43de0cc0$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com...

Pure aluminum melts at 660C, alloys have lower melting points.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

You do know that aluminium melts at about 660 degrees C.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

" snipped-for-privacy@krl.org" fired this volley in news:ca4df67d- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Obviously, he doesn't, although he could have looked it up as easily as asking a question that 'marks' him.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That 'mark' was filtered on my box long ago. Plonk him any time.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I hadn't noticed, but I'll watch now.

I HAVE plonked a few major irritants here on the group, and it's made a huge difference in both readability and 'irritation factor'.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

It does. After so many years, I have kill-filtered over 85% of the messages nowadays, so on days with 150 or so posts, I see only a dozen or so. It's sad that the valid content has dropped so much. Filtering crossposted messages took care of an immense amount of the crap in one pop. I just wish Agent filtered on initial post ID so I could get rid of all the posts by those who reply to the jerks I have plonked. I'd switch newsreaders for that alone if they weren't all such a different format. Agent is THE format for news. I wish others laid it out like Forte' does. Online forums are immensely painful in comparison; so clumsy and inefficient.

I WANT THAT FEATURE, FORTE!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks, I will just do some tests in with some glass firings, I don't quite understand what the other posts are talking about but as an artist I tend to just try things out, I just wondered if there were any fumes or gases given off that could cause problems. I have done some enamelling onto steel and it worked fine .

Reply to
Diane

Can't you filter on "all headers" for the ID string?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

What they're tlaking about, in our semi-engineering language, is the fact that aluminum will melt into a puddle at the firing temperatures you're asking about.

Aluminum can't tolerate those temperatures. If you want to consider using other metals, here is a list of metals and their melting termperatures:

Ed Huntress

Some metals do emit fumes when hot, like lead, zinc and cadmium (plating), but AFAIK there are no special precautions when welding aluminum other than avoiding fluoride fumes from the flux on stick electrodes.

Pure aluminum may be too soft and flexible for you. The commonly available strong and stiff alloy 6061 begins to melt around 580C. Aluminum expands and contracts about twice as much as steel with temperature changes.

rec.crafts.metalworking may not be a good source for artistic metalworking, we are more about machinery and politics. They may have confused you with a political spammer.

Perhaps Calphalon or another company that bonds ceramics to aluminum industrially could help with low-melting ceramics and surface pretreatment requirements. I've never found any useful information on tricky chemistries from artistic sources.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I'd be cautious with the colors you are using. Are some arsenic or cadmium or lead or ..... I had a good friend who used to much cobalt blue and without a mask. Was tough on his lungs...

Glass is safer.

Stainless steel will give off bad fumes.

Mart> reply>>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

If you set your filter to "Ignore thread", it will also ignore replies to the message you filtered. It will not ignore the entire thread, as I though for a long time.

Reply to
Robert Roland

Thanks, Ro. I'll give that a try.

Reply to